270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Re-sealing a tail light Help Please  (Read 1878 times)

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Re-sealing a tail light Help Please
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:49:19 am »
My passenger side tail light had some condensation in it. I took it out and removed the bulb sockets and found there was a lot of water in it. I can't find any cracks in the assembly, the black glue line around the edge seems to be intact and the rubber orings around each bulb look good and don't show signs of leaking. The only thing I can find wrong is the three push locking studs the go through the back and hold the reflectors inside the assembly. These studs are loose enough to rotate freely and the rubber washer on them is not in contact with the back of the housing. I tried pushing them in further but they will not go in any more. Getting to them to seal them with RTV is gonna be a bitch because of the tight spaces. Anyone have experience with this? Anyone have their old tail lights that switched to led's? Pictures to follow.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »
So I dried it all out and sealed around the edge of the assembly with clear RTV.

And the three push pins....

We'll see if it holds...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:27:56 am by NickBeek »
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Ruggedroast

• Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Re-sealing a tail light Help Please
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:01:37 pm »
So mine are starting to do the same thing now, how has your repair held up?
2006 Quad Cab Long Box CTD 4X4

So Far: Carli 3.0 Dominator Pro Suspension, Banks PowerPack with ottomind and PDA, Shoxspeed double steering stabilizer, diff guard, steering brace, crank sensor guard, 37" toyo MT, Walker Evans street lock wheels, glassworks front fenders, custom rock rails, free spin kit, EBC rotors and pads, leer canopy, husky liners, line X.

More to come, and soon

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:00:21 pm »
So far I haven't found any water in it. Seems to have done the trick. :up: You have to get them good and dry inside before you seal them. I used my wife's hair dryer for about an hour and then let it sit near a window in the garage for a day or two where the sun could get at it to dry mine out, but it had a lot of water in it.

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:53:57 pm »
Nick, my right taillight did the same thing. Didn't have condensation for a long time but there was a lot of water in mine as well. Did the water rust or discolor you reflector? My reflector on the backup bulb looks pretty nasty.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:39 pm »
I didn't notice any rust. Take your time and make sure you get it good and dry. It was a bitch getting mine completely dry!

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »
It's good & dry, I had it sitting over the A/C register in the house for 3 days.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »
Shake it around in all directions, you may be surprised.....

Offline INBrett

• Awards:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:09:17 am »
Mine did the same thing and ruined the sockets on both taillights.  I just went to ebay and found a replacement set and went that way.  I noticed a co worker has the same problem with their truck.  Must be a common problem. 

Offline Ruggedroast

• Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 08:26:46 am »
Yeah, I see it quite a bit here in the northwest especially with all the moisture.  I've done the same repair on both mine now and it seems to be fine.  I did have to replace all my sockets as well.

Welcome to the forum INBrett !
2006 Quad Cab Long Box CTD 4X4

So Far: Carli 3.0 Dominator Pro Suspension, Banks PowerPack with ottomind and PDA, Shoxspeed double steering stabilizer, diff guard, steering brace, crank sensor guard, 37" toyo MT, Walker Evans street lock wheels, glassworks front fenders, custom rock rails, free spin kit, EBC rotors and pads, leer canopy, husky liners, line X.

More to come, and soon

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc