270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Vinyl Decals/Custom shirts - who gets them? - Update - Pics  (Read 9231 times)

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
Vinyl Decals/Custom shirts - who gets them? - Update - Pics
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:44 am »
Question I thought I'd throw out to the masses.  I might have an opportunity to purchase a vinyl cutter/plotter for decals and banners; a heat press to do t-shirts (and I guess v-necks if Nick needs them  :43:,) sweatshirts, athletic jerseys, ect. for a fairly reasonable price. 

My question is, how many of you have looked to have either decals or shirts made in the last year? 

I realize this isn't something most people look for in qty typically or on a regular basis, but thought I'd get idea of how many look into it. 

This wouldn't be something that would be my main income, so it's not like I need to have jobs coming in daily, but it would be a nice side gig to see where it starts.  I have a experience with Photoshop and Illustrator, which should help take a lot of the learning out of setting things up.  It would just be learning the machines. 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:36:57 am by aka_chewy »

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Re: Vinyl Decals/Custom shirts - who gets them?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:18:15 am »
I know of a few shops locally that made a pretty good business out of exactly what you mentioned... and a small store front in a shopping plaza. Sports teams jerseys/t-shirts, construction companys truck lettering... they stay pretty busy!

I think for this to become anything for you, marketing your services will be key because of the flooded market on this type of thing. Even if you only plan to putz around with it on the side. There are a million people with the vinyl machines, or at least around me there are. Even the billion online shops make it too easy and cheap for people needing graphics done.

The printing press might set you apart, though... but im sure it'd pay off if you got the equipment to do it for a good price. Maybe this could even lead to an internet store for you?!

Weird you mentioned this, too. I JUST got done talking with my brother that id like to have shirts made sometime this summer for my company. And of course, you guessed it, they'd have to be V-necks! haha!

I also need graphics done for my dump truck doors in the next month... but id be going against my "guy" if i had anyone else do them for me.  :whistling:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:47 pm »
I'll be in the market in the near future for some tshirts shirts for our scouts.  If you go through with getting setup let me know and we'll discuss details :up:

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »
We need DOF stickers again :) Haven't had any of those up in a long time.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »
Nick, good point on the market being flooded and something I've seen around here too.  That doesn't bother me a whole lot since I don't have to pay my bills with this, but something to consider.  I have some marketing ideas and places to hit up should this go through.  Plus, if you keep up the concrete work, you'll have all those vehicles and employees to outfit.  ;D

Methos, I'll definitely let you know, thanks!

Jo, that's a good idea. We could work out something to get money back to DOF too. 

Hmmm....got some thinking to do.

Thanks!

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »
What you'll find is the margins are very slim in this arena. The expendables are relatively expensive and the price of the product has to be fairly low due to, as mentioned above, the flooded market.

For example, here in my local area there are 3 "larger" print shops. One of those shops got the contract with the local arena and they're the only one you see with substantial business. But, because of that, they can usually beat the other 2 shops prices for smaller scale stuff, i.e. the stuff like I get done. The prices there, because of their quantity, is almost at actual cost of the other 2 shops.

Now, where I have seen the other two shops more successful is at local events as vendors. At the track, at fairs, at events other than the civic center. Here they make stuff on site, within a few minutes of being ordered. Stuff like Cummins "C" logos (illegal actually, as its a copyrighted image), Browning logos, vehicle logos, etc....again, sketchy ground due to the copyrighting.

So, not to sound discouraging, but consider your investment in this area.

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »
Not discouraging, very valid points and things to consider. 

I'm looking into prices on vinyl and such to try and get an idea of what my costs would be.  Also researching the equipment further to understand what my limits would be.  It's a vinyl cutter, not a printer so I'd have to look into what options I have to do full color. 

My thought was, all of these local places have overhead like rent, payroll, and other business related expenses that I wouldn't have to deal with.  While they'd probably get better pricing on the media due to quantity, I might be able to come in close to their price due to the only investment really being the equipment to start. 

Online places like vistaprints and those like that are very cheap, probably wouldn't be able to compete with their prices.  However, they can be limited in their capabilities.

I've often wondered is how places sell licensed products like the cummins C.  I've seen a few CD's with many of those (nascar, harley, chevy, ect) images on it; I think if it's on that disk, it's legal to print.  Need to find out for sure though.

Thanks again for all points and thoughts.  Much appreciated. 

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:10 am »
...My thought was, all of these local places have overhead like rent, payroll, and other business related expenses that I wouldn't have to deal with....

You gotta spend money to make money!  :whistling:

But im not totally sure that applies to this because from the sounds of it, it'll be more of a hobby type thing with any profit being a bonus.

Just my thoughts outloud...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:17:36 am »
Right, I'd be doing this out of my basement to start.  Sure, if we get busy enough then move on to better equipment and retail space, but to start, just take it as it comes. 

And I agree, you have to spend some to make some, hence the thoughts of getting this equipment.  I just wouldn't be taking the double bounce trampoline leap into a full fledge business.

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:44 pm »
Overall, you have to pay good money to get copyrighted images.  And if and when you do get those images, get your permission to replicate them in writing.  It costs a lot of money if you get caught stealing copyrighted images, and you should always have the paperwork to back it up.

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:27 am »
When you are talking about vinyl, don't for get other advertising opportunities like - Banners, A Frames, Signs, etc.

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Vinyl Decals/Custom shirts - who gets them? - Update
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
Well, just made the payment on the equipment, should be here early next week.  Once I get a few things figured out, we'll be ready to roll. 

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:41 pm »
Awesome!  :punk:

Hopefully it goes well for ya!  :up:

Offline Mike Bolser

• Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 04:21:42 pm »
Here's an example, my daughter plays travel softball nearly year round, outdoors and indoors.  Each player has 4 jerseys with silk screen logos and numbers, a windbreaker with an embroidered logo and hot press numbers on the back, headband with an embroidered logo, hooded sweatshirt with a silk screened logo and a few other practice T shirts.  On top of that, the parents buy "spirit wear" to support the team which usually consists of a T shirt, hooded sweatshirt, a hat for the dad and so on.  To be on a travel softball team, our parents spend over $1200 a season and that doesn't include the spirit wear ... imagine what parents of a gymnastics troop might spend ...

So doing a little math, again just to give you an idea of the potential here ... Imagine if your team averages 11 players and you provide this service to a softball organization with teams from 10 to 18 years of age.  We have 8 teams in our organization with about 90 girls and as many families.  Travel sports is where you can increase your margins a little because mom and dad are paying for their child to be on a more advanced team and willing to let go of the $s to look the part.

Also, your local community probably has a league for recreation sports like softball, baseball, football that take place every spring and fall.  If you find the director and get in good with him\her, you can print up the shirts for these teams pretty easily.  Rec ball is typically just silk screened Ts, no logos and super easy to crank out.  This would be a good place to start..

Just my thoughts ... best of luck to you.

Mike

EDIT: Our teams also have a vinyl sign that's about 3' x 5' (guessing) that has our team name, girls pictures with numbers and a list of sponsors and their company logos.  I forget what we pay for the sign to be printed.  But each travel team would have one of those as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:26:07 pm by Mike Bolser »
2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 6spd Auto QC 4X4 SLT TRX4
Stock drop in bedliner, Dodge factory step bars, AFE 31-80102 Air Filter
2011 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition 325FRE behind a Pullrite 16k Autoglide

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »
Excellent info, thanks. 

That was one of the first places I was thinking of starting, but this gave me a few extra ideas to roll with too.  My family has been involved with many sports of over the years; I'm the oldest of 5 and we span 11 years apart.  My dad grew up in Buffalo and his dad and grandfather had business in the town too.  I'm hoping those years of connections will help out.  Well, that and I can actually produce a good product.  :lol:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc