270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: How to upgrade cooling system  (Read 1976 times)

Offline bh0311

• Awards:
How to upgrade cooling system
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:37 am »
I have a 2010  Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins towing a 5th wheel with full weight of 15500 lbs. I added an extra leaf in the springs instead of air bags. The Dodge pulls the load fine but with heavy head wind or in a heavy climb in the western mountains my water temperature up to 218 to 220. The normal water temperature is at 200 degrees. I am wondering if there is an upgrade for the radiator or to add an addition radiator.

I monitor the transmission temperature and it is in the normal range. I talked to other people on the road and camp ground and they say that
their water temperature rises in the mountains. How high is to high a water temperature, or is a 20 degrees an okay rise. 

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
Re: How to upgrade cooling system
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:09:34 am »
With these new engines its not uncommon to see 220 as a normal temp now.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »
Make sure all the radiators and cooler in front are clean.  There is alot of stuff blocking air flow to the coolant radiator.  Another idea would be to add another transmission cooler before the engine heat exchanger.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:59 pm »
He already has 2 tranny coolers. That's why he's seeing the elevated temps, as I tried to explain to him....

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19094.0

Monitoring tranny teml doesn't mean squat when you're monitoring it AFTER it goes through the coolers and returns to the pan. The temp you see is right after it gets picked up and brought up to pressure, NOT after its gone through the clutch packs and torque converter. If you want the real picture, just shoot that hot line with an IR temp gun and you'll see that pan temp is way different than the heat that the cooling system has to deal with.

Overweight + undergeared + steep grades = excess heat

Offline Sarge

• Oil Changer
  • Our New Toy, SFC E-7 USA Retired
  • Awards:
    Army
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:28:38 am »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I tow a 14k 5th wheel with the 6.7L 3500 DRW. The temp for me pulling a 6% grade has hit 220F that was in 98f heat with my foot trying to reach the road. I found that backing off the pedal and down shifting, Drive to 5th and tow/haul on, you run cooler 212F. The only time I over heated was due to a weak radiator cap. Can you hear the fan come on?
08 Mega Cab 6.7,6spd auto , EB, 4x4  8' bed
and a beautiful co-pilot of 43 years next to me.
Retired totally now.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc