270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: First Catch of the Season  (Read 2697 times)

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
First Catch of the Season
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:43:22 pm »

I went fishing on Saturday ;D (day before my annual license expired), and even though it's still fairly chilly here in Indiana, a lot of people are starting to go.  One of our local public lakes just got stocked with trout, so it's been crowded. My first catch was a baby large mouth, about 10 inches. When are you all starting fishing? What is your typical first catch?

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
Re: First Catch of the Season
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:02:59 pm »
Have to do it --

:pics:

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »
I figured someone would do what you did. Did not take a picture as my hands were slimy from the fish and had soil particles from handling nightcrawlers. Will take pics from now on, though! :pic:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
Hoping to get the boat together this week or so. They have been pushing ice with boats for walleye for the last couple weeks out here on the bay with good results. A little chilly for me yet. But the suckers are running, so might go with a friend this weekend for a little sucker drinking.  :punk:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »
Walleyes are awesome. I never caught a big one though. I used to catch them quite often back in Lithuania, biggest one caught about a foot long. Too many people go fishing in that country, so finding a spot that's not overfished can prove to be a challenge.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »
First catchs of the year for me happened through hard waters. As soon as im able to step foot on the ice, thats where you'll generally find me during the weekdays. Im a seasonal worker with too much time to spare during the winter months.  ;D

As far as soft waters... i thought about going out last week. I know within the next month or two the bass are going to be spawning close to shore. I know a place where every other cast will hook you into a 4-5lb bass.

There's also a river that runs near my house that the pike swim up this time of the year to drop eggs or do what ever they do. You'd never think that theres fish in this river, but its full pike and steel head this time of year! Ill probably poke around that river in the coming days if i find some time.

Then comes boat season!! The upside to a season job is the ice fishing. The down side is not having enough time to get on the boat and enjoy fishing when its at its best! Ill generally go out on Friday nights after work when i can, but business looks to be good so far this year... i hope ill find time!! We're planning on conquering muskie this year on our lake. Its supposed to be one of the top lakes in America for muskie (Lake St Claire). Never had the pleasure to hook into one... hopefully i can change that this year!  ;D

Heres some of my ice stuff this winter...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:14:20 pm »
Very jealous. Nothing quite like hooking a pike. Nice pictures, they make me want to take time off work and go fishing.  :tt2:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:22:41 am »
Yeah, they are fun to catch! I generally only catch ones that are around 2' and under. I think ive got into a 30" one, once.

Anything over 4' on the end of my line will most likely generate a magical second pole out of thin air right next to the pole that the fish is on.  :lol:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:50:05 pm »
Walleye are king here on the Saginaw Bay. One of the top walleye fisheries in the country. I live 1/4 mile off the bay they are not my top choice in fish. Believe it or not you can actually get tired of catching them. The last few years when the weather is right getting your 5 fish limit takes about 1 1/2 hours. Most in the 18"-20" range (perfect eaters) with 5-7lb'ers  common. for me though, I'd give up walleye any day for a mess of yellow perch. The best eatin' fish on the planet.  ;D

Nick, talked to a buddy, and his cousin dipped suckers last weekend up near Omer on the Rifle River. Run is light, just starting. But also brought up one walleye and a steelhead. So they are starting up the river as we speak. Not sure down by you, but walleye and pike in the rivers during spawn runs can get a little expensive with the DNR, so be careful. Also get yourself the new fishing regs for 2013, new rules for muskies. What don't have one? Well they went digital.  :up:

http://www.eregulations.com/michigan/fishing/pageFlip/

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:17:58 pm »
Thanks for the info, kenz. Muskellunge regulations are pretty interesting. How do they enforce 1/season limit?

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:22 am »
I still have to make it in there for my new license... i generally  get all my info at that time.

I never really thought about whether the pike are in season or not this time of year in the rivers?! I have always assumed that they were because many people are fishing for them and steel heads along the river banks. I guess i should look into that if i get time to go out this year? lol

Thanks for the heads up, Ken!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:25:16 am »
Just checked through that site you posted... Pike are good in my lake all year and the same for walleye.

Niceee!  8)

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
Went fishing yesterday, got pretty sunburned. One of our DNR stocked public lakes had 100's of dead fish near the shore. In the past 5 or so years I fished there, I never caught this type. It almost looks like Asian carp. I'm curious how they managed to single out and kill them. (Did not catch anything this time)

Raw link if embed does not work;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d979f8r3y5r6cf4/IMAG0112.jpg

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
Weird!! Are those Asian carp?!

We had a fairly large die off of gizzard shad in our lake 2 years back when the winter was cold enough to give us nearly 2' of ice. Most fish we're ok, but these shad could not tolerate the temps and the lack of oxygen in the water so many of them died. When spring came, everyone that had a house near or on the water was blessed smells of the situation. It looked similar to this, but the fish were roughly half the size of the ones you showed.

Could this be a similar type situation or do you think the DNR singled this fish out?! Pretty crazy to see that many fish dead like that... im curious as to what did it!

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:05:25 pm »
Went fishing again after work. Nothing up until about 8:20 P.M. (after everyone left with their bad luck interference, and about 10 minutes before gate guard kicks everyone out), I caught two healthy rainbow trout kids within 5 minutes of each other. I took a picture of one, ran out of time for the second one, which was much bigger. Catch & release.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8nrfyaceyr7q4zv/YVZO3R12TI

In response, I would imagine DNR or whoever would target asian carp, since they destroy natural habitats. That lake had little to no ice this winter, I drove by there a few times. Really curious to find out how it was done :whistling:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:08:36 pm by replicator »

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc