270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: So I added training wheels!  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
So I added training wheels!
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:11 am »
Ok, so a lot of ya’ll know Alie and I bought a bigass 5th wheel.   It overloaded the 2500 in every way, shape, and size…  :doh:  Now what can you do if you already own said truck, no payment, is go trade it in for a shiny new one with a payment, or modify/upgrade what you have.
So with a little digging, a lot of questions that a lot of you answered for me, I went for the conversion.
First up was a set of Airbags, easy install and easily handles the extra weight.  :up:
Second was to find an axle from a 3500 and do the swap.  This is where I ran into a problem… Everyone wanted $1800-2600 for an axle that needed rebuilding.  I went thru 3- first one had a broken bearing race that spilled its contents into the diff, while the axles were still rotating.  Second was an axle with a bent axle tube housing, about a 30* bend but the bearings were good!  Third one was rusted, frozen solid, no oil in it etc.  So I came up with another plan.  My current rear axle has been serviced every 20k, isn’t bent, in good working condition, so I went looking for spacers.
Before deciding on this move, I had a mechanical engineer do some load calculations on the bearings, etc.  I also spoke with several other people that have the mechanical  understanding that said they wouldn’t be afraid of doing spacers.
So I went looking for spacers.  E-Bay is full of them, nice shiny aluminum ones that are cheap.  Then there is Fred Goeske at Design Deluxe.  His name kept coming up in all the spacer conversations I found and had.  So the call was made.  I woke the man up in Cali… on a Monday Morning!  He knew exactly what I needed, and made an additional suggestion for what I wanted.
Then there was the Mega Cab fenders being sourced and readied while all the axle crap was taking place.  I wanted a whole factory bed takeoff, but none to be found, so I ordered a set of fenders from Dually Fenders USA…  my suggestion would be NOT to order from them.  :doh:  Understanding that all I have done for the past 30 years is fiberglass, composites, and plastics, I mistaking thought that all I would need to do is some fitment, prime and paint.  I ended up rebuilding most of them.  :banging:  There was no gel coat, they were full of air bubbles on all the corners, ragged fiberglass on the inside, white spray bomb paint covering areas someone tried to fix, it was ugly.  :devil2:  For over $700 shipped I expected something a little more high quality.  Hell I could have made my own for what I now have in them.  So with the fenders ready to shoot, the spacers here, rims and tires already sourced and here, it’s time to paint and assemble! 
Paint happened at a friend’s shop in our old paint booth, Kevin Mayer is another gearhead.  Google him, he set a record for something or another in drag racing..  :punk:
Paint actually got laid down by Roger Brooks, former owner of Brooks Boatworks and also a gearhead.  :banana:
Some pieces and parts from the guru around here, Thanks Rich!  :up:
So today some assembly took place,  :Mechanic:
 As the saying goes 4 is always better than 2!
Missed another person, Thanks JakeBrake for the stems and tire sizes and other advice  :punk:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:32:04 am by Jims1dodge »
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
Re: So I added training wheels!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:45 am »
Very cool! You really went the extra mile on top of the full 9 yards,

What axle were you looking for? Ive been finding dually dana 70s for under 600 around here. But my standards are probably lower.

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:41:42 am »
I was looking for something I wouldn't have to rebuild.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:48 pm »
Great job Jim! I will have to agree with you about the fenders. I don't know much about fiberglass, but as shipped them looked a little rough. But you did a great job on the whole project.  :up:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
Looks Good Jim!  :up:
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:20 pm »
Looks good Jim, in the end you'll enjoy the confidence of stability.

One thing about Mega Cab fenders....they're friggen Rock Magnets.

I've had mine painted at least 3 times now, the last time after curing the paint, I put some 3M protective film over the forward leading edges to try and keep the paint intact a little longer.
So far, so good, but the film eventually gets battered up and I can see one day going a little heavier in another route.

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »
I coated the front of mine with duplicolor bed armor when I did my rocker panels.. I don't care when rocks hit em no more!
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:56 am »
I'm planing on coating the front lower edge of them with Plastic Dip first, that and the fuel fill area.  I still have some to do underneath so I can undercoat them.  I've got the harness run for the lights now too.  Made a plug to go into the little 4 way trailer plug for power.  Got another item on the way too.   :banana:
I found a set of 265 70 17 tires cheap that are on it now.  Only issue is that they stick out about an inch, If they stay I'll add a set of fender flares to help keep the rocks off the camper.
You can't fix stupid

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 01:40:59 am »
Wow what were the odds you found all that stuff at one yard sale.  :fart:

Nice Job.  :up:

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 01:47:17 am »
Good catch!
At least I was standing where there was no reflection of me!
Well, The odds were preetty good!  Since we closed and sold the shop, the old yard sale sign is the new creeper on the broken asphalt.
You can't fix stupid

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:45 am »
At least I didn't make fun of your girly cup. :whistling:  ;D

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:54:40 am »
I'm sure a guy with your FG skill and experience could just stretch those fenders out a bit to protect the camper from the rocks ;)

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:15 am »
At least I didn't make fun of your girly cup. :whistling:  ;D

It was brought to me, half Rum, half pepsi.. I don't care what its served in  :cheers:
You can't fix stupid

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
So I added training wheels!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:21 am »
Nice work Jim!! :up:
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline jcodner

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 01:01:02 pm »
nice job man
Jordon
04.5 2500, S&B Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Cortex programmer, silencer ring MIA, 08.5 steering upgrade,  more to come wit time hopefully

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc