270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: need new tires later this year. What's best?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline johnnyf

• Awards:
need new tires later this year. What's best?
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:27:13 pm »
Hey folks,

I've got an '08 RAM 1500 Big Horn (SLT) which has been a great truck.  It has the 5.7 L hemi with 4x4

It came with the Goodyear Wrangler HP tires.  I thought that they wree over rated.  I got 60,000 miles with regular rotations.  I used the same tires again.  This time one became defective in less than 10,000 miles.  I am approaching 119,000 miles. I want to try a differnt tire when the time comes later this year.  What are really good tires for these trucks?  Can you also give mean idea of performance and costs?

Thanks!

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
Re: need new tires later this year. What's best?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »
What are you looking for in a tire? Off road, highway ect
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Offline johnnyf

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:29:10 pm »
Highway driving

Thanks

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:18:34 am »
For all Highway, I like Michelin or General Tire. I've run both of them on previous trucks. Through the Generals were before the company name made a comeback. You can't go wrong with either, but if uou want to fork the coin, I'd go with the Michelin LTX M/S2
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
I have no specific input on this, sorry  :tongue:

I would listen to others, like Mitch. But when I got the tires for my Subaru I went to Tirerack and read reviews. Been happy with my choice so far  :smiley:
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
Originally had Michelin's on mine. Went to Falkens a few months back. Had one that was out of round and replaced, but other than that I like them so far.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline AeroRam

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • What'd I miss?
  • Awards:
    ROTM400AF
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
For all Highway, I like Michelin or General Tire. I've run both of them on previous trucks. Through the Generals were before the company name made a comeback. You can't go wrong with either, but if uou want to fork the coin, I'd go with the Michelin LTX M/S2

Those LTXs hold up nice, thats the way i'd go if I was going all highway.... A Nitto Terra Grappler A/T if the All Terrain was desired

'06-4x4-2500
ATS|II|DDP|Suncoast|MADS|Edge|BD|Carli|Nitto

Offline johnnyf

• Awards:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:45:22 pm »
I had the Michelins on my old Ford van.  They were good tires but just very expensive.  With those tires, mounting, balancing, and front end alignment it's probably @ $1,200 in the Long Island area.  I have the 20" tires.  I was looking for a good tire that will last 60,000 miles (with rotations) and be easier on the wallet.

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
I had the Michelins on my old Ford van.  They were good tires but just very expensive.  With those tires, mounting, balancing, and front end alignment it's probably @ $1,200 in the Long Island area.  I have the 20" tires.  I was looking for a good tire that will last 60,000 miles (with rotations) and be easier on the wallet.

Why I went with the Falkens. Over $60 less a tire, plus received a $100 gift card for buying 4 of them
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »
Currently run the Firestone Transforce A/T on my 2wd dually. Don't know for sure would have to check, but probably got 45-50k on them with enough tread for probably 15k more. Wearing real good, especially with regular rotations. We also have the H/T on the shop truck which is a '97 Ford 1-ton 4x4.  Probably 80k on them (they are ready for replacement) and they worked well on the highway and even do a good job plowing snow in the winter.

Went with the A/T on my 2wd because of the need for a little more grip when on the dirt/sandy roads of certain campgrounds. Not so aggressive as to look out of place on a 2wd, but just enough grip for the summer dirt and the winter snows. Paid around $1100 but I had to buy 6 instead of 4.  :$:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:22:36 pm »
Whatever you buy, don't do the Bridgestone Duravis series tires.  They ride hard and have no wet road traction.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 07:29:06 pm »
Whatever you buy, don't do the Bridgestone Duravis series tires.  They ride hard and have no wet road traction.

LOVE the Duravis tires.....on the trailers. They track straight, ride fantastic, and are wearing fantastic. I will never, ever again spend a dime on a cheap tire, especially on the trailers.

I look at it like this. There are few things that can completely and totally "F" up your day like a bad tire. Whether it blows, is out of round, wears poorly, etc., an extra $50 on a GOOD tire compared to a cheap azz Walmart tire is worth it's weight in gold in saved aggravation and damaged vehicles. That and "hoping" a tire doesn't blow out on a trip isn't a comforting feeling, it's an added stressor.

On the truck, the only thing I'll replace the OEM's with are Michelins or Bridgestones.

CHEAP TIRES SUCK DONKEY BALLZ!

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 03:47:00 pm »
I agree on the trailer tire part.  On all our boat trailers, and campers I have LT  "E,G,or H" rated tires depending on the trailer.  Never lost one.

On the truck, I had good luck with Firestone Destination AT, and the Toyo Open Country AT.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 08:04:04 pm »
I REALLY like the Bridgestone Duravis R250's on the trailer. On the flatbed, we would blow a tire EVERY damn time we went somewhere.....without fail. These weren't old tires, they were just the crap that you get at Walmart, etc. They were in the correct load range and size but one of them would fail every time I had the BOMB'r on the trailer. Ever since putting the R250's on it, haven't had a single issue and it's been used on for anything and everything. Hell, they're hardly even showing wear on them.

Now, on the truck, it'll be getting some Michelin LTX M/S2's as soon as these General's need replacing, which won't be too far off. I think the only others I'd consider are the BFG Commercial TA's or Firestone TransForce HT's. The only issue with the last 2 is there is no warranty, where the Michelins have a 70k warranty on them.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
I've ran the Firestones, MS 2's and the BFG Commercials. I got 60 to 70k miles out of the MS 2's and the firestones. The BFG's I still have on the truck. I really liked the Michelins, but for the price compared to the others, I'm not sure they're worth it. The only noticeable thing I really liked more about the Michelins was that the sidewall seemed to be more stable with a heavy load. The Firestones seemed to have a little more sway to them. The BFG's feel like they have a stronger sidewall than the Firestones. If I was still running commercial I would be using the BFG's again! I think for the price they can't be beat!

I also ran the BFG's on my triple axle trailer and would never use anything else again! When I sold that trailer the oldest tires on it had over 70K miles on them and still had more than 50% tread! They wore like steel!

Can you tell which tires have over 70K miles?

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc