270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Coolant level dropping  (Read 1732 times)

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Coolant level dropping
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:49 pm »
Our 2012 GC seems to be loosing coolant. We're at 22k miles and at one of the previous oil changes I had the dealer top it off. This morning I checked and it was below the min level in the recovery bottle. I checked the dipstick and oil fill cap for signs of water in the oil and there are no signs there. I have never noticed any leaks in the driveway.

Anyone have any ideas where it's going?
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
Re: Coolant level dropping
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:39:33 am »
Hum, I've got a hair over 17k. Have yet to see any loss in coolant. Will take a peek and see if there may be something I can find.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:08 am »
After I posted I remembered the hose that goes from the rad neck to the overflow bottle that leaks on our trucks. I looked under the hood of the GC and sure enough there is no hose clamp on it on the van either.... There isn't any signs of it leaking right near the hose, but there are some water spots further down below that area. I'm going to top it up with 50/50 mix of the Mopar coolant and find a small hose clamp and see what happens.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:01:12 am »
That was going to be the place to look first anyway.

One would think while putting these vehicles together someone on the assembly line could install a less than $0.01 part to ensure coolant doesn't leak out.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:34 am »
Yet, the dealer will charge you a few dollars for that 1¢ part...  :argh:

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
Coolant level dropping
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:28 am »
So I took a ride to the nearest Chrysler dealer to where in staying (25 mikes) today. Asked for a gallon of the appropriate premixed 50/50 coolant. They only carry the concentrated coolant. No biggie, I'll get some distilled water and dilute it myself. I also asked for a spring hose clamp for the recovery bottle hose. They only had the screw down clamps, I'll take it. They gave me the clamp for free... :) I put the clamp on and when I tightened it, a little coolant came out of the end of the hose. I believe we found the culprit. Topped off the recovery bottle with an eyeball 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water and drive it back to Mom's house. There was no noticeable loss of coolant. :up:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc