270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 has no power  (Read 3176 times)

Offline wardbtx

• Awards:
94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 has no power
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:12 pm »
I have a 1994 1500 V8 5.2 that I keep at the lake house for pulling boats for the most part. It doesn't get a lot of mileage each year. In fact in the winter it doesn't get driven much at all. I have been putting sea foam in the gas to keep it stable. I normally keep less than 1/4 tank of gas.

I am not sure when it started exactly because I didn't notice it. But it has no power and can't even pull my pontoon boat out of the water up the ramp.
In fact, from a dead stop it has no guts at all. It acts like a vehicle with the timing retarded. Like back in the days when you set the time. If it was retarded it had a low idle and no power. But it does not ping or knock.
Or if you were trying to accelerate from say 5 mph in 3 gear on a manual transmission.
I put a new rotor and dist cap in it.  Had the fuel pressure checked. Although I don't know if he check it while driving to see if it dropped.
Had a hole put in the pipe in front of the cat on the exhaust to see if it was plugged up. Nope. then welded it back.
But I did have a guy at the parts store put the scan on it and he said it had a trans fluid temp sensor code.
They don't have the part, and I am not sure where it is located. I wonder if it may have come upplugged.  Could this possible be the problem of no power?
I might add that I have to turn the OD off around town because when you get to about 50mph or so, it shudders trying to decide if it wants 3rd of OD.  Turn if off and it stays in 3rd and runs smooth.  I can do OD on the highway around 70.
The truck seems to idle well. It is not perfect but if I turn on the A/C it does not die or idle down that I can tell, so I think the Idle Air Valve is ok.
I am not that bright with injectors. I had carbs back when I was young.  I did put some sea foam in the intake via the brake vacuum while at an idle and put about 2 ozs or so in slowly, then shut if off and let it sit for 15 minutes then start it up. I have tried a can of fuel injector cleaner and Chevron gas as well. I put High Octane in it.
But there is something killing the power on this truck.
From what I understand there is a limp mode. But, I can manually put it in 1st gear and shift manually and get 3  gears and OD if I don't have it turned off.

So, I have tried to tell you as much information as I can think of and hope some of you might be able to help me figure out what  is going on. I took it to a mechanic who is suppose to be pretty good and he couldn't figure it out either. He said all the plugs have good spark. I put in a new rotor and cap after I took it to him,  just in case.
I think if it had a head gasket or intake gasket I would hear some noise. I have read about the plenum in some of these trucks. I don't know if that the problem or not. I did not look down in the throat to see if there is oil. But it  does not leak a drop or use any oil that I can tell.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: 94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 has no power
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:32:21 pm »
How long has it been for plugs and wires been changed
Have you put dry gas in it or new gas 
Have you tryed to run the S**T out of it to clean it out

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline wardbtx

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
How long has it been for plugs and wires been changed
Have you put dry gas in it or new gas 
Have you tryed to run the S**T out of it to clean it out
Buford.
I used the Sea Foam which is suppose to stabilize the water in gas so it gets burned. I think pulling the tank off and cleaning it out and perhaps putting a new fuel pump and filter since they filter is part of the fuel pump from what I can tell. The mechanic said the same thing about running the **** out of it thinking it would either blow it out or make the problem worse so we could figure it out. I did take it out and run it about 160 miles. I didn't nail it as fast as it would go, but I did dog it the other day driving it on the highway.  Can injectors be taken off and cleaned?
I have not put new wires on it. I did put new plugs on it when I bought it used. It has about 150k miles on it. Was a farm truck. I didn't know if a vacuum line leak could do that much to the performance or not.
After putting the Sea Foam in the oil, vacuum intake and gas, I did take it out and run it a bit to see if that helped. It never did really smoke like I thought it would after reading the experience of others wanting to clean out the carbon in the intake.

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:07:35 am »
I would try new wires especially if you plan on keeping it

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:31 am »
Yes...If I remember correctly a vacuum leak can cause all sorts of problems. I would definitely look at that.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 03:44:54 am »
I would start with a tune up, check the plenum gasket by looking down the throttle body and see if you see oil.
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline 1970496STChevelle

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    1000HPTech CertifiedDistinguished
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:11 am »
I would do a full tune up and a compression test, you might have a dead hole.  You said that you had your fuel pressure checked, what was it??  Is the engine making any funny noises?

1970 Chevelle 496 Single 101mm Turbo . . . Stock door panels and rear seat. (It was easier to say what is stock than list all the mods.)
2004 Duramax Heavy Dooty, Edge CTS, S&B intake, MPRP exhaust

1965 Corvette Stingray (Dad's car)
1970 Corvette Convertible (Mom's car)
1931 Sedan Delivery (Grandfather's, bought new)

Offline wardbtx

• Awards:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
I would do a full tune up and a compression test, you might have a dead hole.  You said that you had your fuel pressure checked, what was it??  Is the engine making any funny noises?
The mechanic did not tell me what the pressure was so I don't know. From what I have read, the proper way to test would be to tape the gauge to the windshield and watch it as you drive to see if it does not maintain good pressure. The engine does not make any funny noises. I suspect it is not going to be a simple thing to figure out. I never had this happen on a vehicle.
I think I may start with a new fuel pump and filter. And perhaps test each fuel injector. I will have to read up on them first.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc