270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Firing off the big 500  (Read 1425 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Firing off the big 500
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:08:12 am »
Well finally, got a break in the action so to speak. Had a little spare time this evening so went to a buddy's house with a box of guns and ammo can full of rounds. Started off small, running about 30 rounds of .40sw thru my Beretta 96. Very nice shooting gun, just need some more time on the trigger to get the accuracy down. Plus I don't shoot an auto much, so it'll take a little time. Next up was the H&R rifle. Expecting it to tear into my shoulder, but actually was no different than a 12guage slug gun. Accuracy isn't half bad. The open sites with 2 green and 1 red dot work really good, but completely cover smaller targets at 100 yards. Thinking a scope of some sort is in order here. But overall seems to be a very nice "brush gun". I'm liking this one a lot. Finally the big dog. Loaded up 5 rounds in the Smith and let 'em fly. Shooting off a bag, the recoil seemed to be not much more than my buddy's .44mag. Muzzle flip the same, just a little more 'push'. The one thing that that did catch us by surprise is the massive air pressure put out by these rounds. Definitely need good shooting glasses and don't be standing along side. Put 40 rounds thru it with no ill effects. Actually quite enjoyable.  :up: We both had a great time shooting the beast. As for accuracy, I shake to much to be really accurate with a handgun. Don't get me wrong, I can hit what I aim at, just that dime size groups aren't gonna happen. So, off a sand bag at 50 yards I was getting groups in the 3" size or so. Maybe because of the weight I can be more steady, but I was hitting pop bottles of water at 100 yards free hand, something I rarely did with my .357. No pictures as it was kind of a spur of the moment thing, but did have a blast! I do know one thing, it don't take long to burn thru $150 worth of ammo anymore.  :2guns:

Now the fun part......cleaning.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:13:18 am by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: Firing off the big 500
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:03 am »
 :up:

Know what you mean about cleaning. Finally cleaned my guns this past weekend from shooting July 4th weekend.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Re: Firing off the big 500
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:06 am »
Sounds like an expensive little outing! Glad you had fun and enjoy the new addition...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc