270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: gear ratio? rear end advise  (Read 2232 times)

Offline veritasaequita

• Awards:
gear ratio? rear end advise
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »
Hello,
I have a 02 Ram 1500 slt long bed with the 5.9L that i picked up about one year ago. My main question is if anyone knows the gear ratio and type/name/model of the rear end that came with the truck. long story short, when i first bought it i noticed  it was making a growling noise in the rear end, it was broken c-clips that i had replaced. Last week i was driving down a local hwy and the rear end locked up and me and the truck went sliding sideways at 50 mph for a pretty good ways. drive shaft broke lose and was flying all around, it actually broke the pinion in half to free itself (wow). I've opened it up this week and some pretty serious damage was done in there. I've been trying to locate a new rear end this time and cant find one at a salvage place anywhere near me. so i guess my other questions are about options. If i do wind up swapping the rear end how many can use/fit. what year rams can it come from, what models, are the other vehicles i could pull one from that would be the same and bolt back in place? Is there an option of replacing the ring gear assembly "chunk" with something better that doesn't have those rinky dink clips on it and if so what might my options be? lol, long shot but does anyone have a rear end that would work and is looking for cash, cash/trade or anything at all. This is the first time i've ever been down to one vehicle and i've got a wife and infant son so its kinda scary not having wheels. sorry for the long post guys but i just wanted to give all info and try to get all options so i can get back on the road.

thanks, Robert

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: gear ratio? rear end advise
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:42 am »
Best way to know what rear end is in it is to have a dealership run you off a build sheet.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:00 am »
Look in the glove box. There should be a build sheet. If it does not specify or mention anything about the axle then you most likely have 3.55's. If it mentions anything about the axle, tow package, 4x4 package or something then you would have 3.92's.

For the 02 ram 1500 you should have an AAM 9.25 rear.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »
He's not going to have a AAM axle in that '02 1500. That's still going to have the corporate 9.25

The Dodge Ram featured a wide variety of axles. For the front axle of 4x4 Rams, a Dana 44 was used on all 1500 Rams and some, early, light duty 2500 Rams. However, most of the 2500 and all 3500 Rams used Dana 60 front axles. The 1500 Rams and some early light duty 2500 Rams used a 9.25 Chrysler ( Spicer )axle in the rear. A Dana 60 rear axle was used on heavy duty 2500 V8 Rams. A Dana 70 rear axle was used in 2500 Rams with a V10 or a Diesel/Automatic transmission combination. A Dana 80 rear axle was used on 2500 Rams with a manual transmission and V10/diesel engine combination. Every 3500 Ram was made with a Dana 80. The front drive axles in these Rams were unique in the fact they didn't feature Locking hubs, but featured a Center axle disconnect. The 2002 2500 and 3500 Rams saw the eventual phase out of the Center axle disconnect, in favor of front axles that were permanently locked in. Dodge continued to feature front axles like this for their 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500 trucks until 2013 models.

:cheers:

Offline Austin The DieselTech

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    500 HPROTYrotmDonor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »
And now it is an electric shift motor on the CAD instead of the vacuum one that they used to have.
2012 Ram 3500 SLT CCSB 4X4 Auto 4.10's
2002 2500 Sport Ext. Cab 4X4 lifted on 37's, Airdog, P-Pumped and twined. Traded In 5/2/13
2003 2500 SLT QCLB 4X4 Totaled

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:17 am »
The 02's are a funny year as that is the first year of the 3rd gens for the 1500's but the 2/3500's didn't push the generation boundary till 03. So the 1500's had the newer axles that year while the 2/3500's were still rocking the Dana's.

Anyway, corporate, AAM, pretty much same thing, just a different name.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »
Real easy....

Jack one tire off the ground, put the t-case or trans in neutral and mark a spot on both the driveshaft and the tire. Then, simply rotate the one tire ONE full revolution and count the number of times the mark on the shaft goes by. It should be approx 3.5 times or ALMOST 4 full times. That will tell you the gear ratio.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc