270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: truck missing  (Read 5019 times)

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
truck missing
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
OK. This is my 3rd Dodge forum. Nobody seems to want to help anybody if you haven't reached 1000 posts. Anyway I need some help figuring this out. I have a 1989 Dodge W100, automatic, 318. After the truck has warmed up, if I accelerate hard at all from a stop, the truck misses, surges and cuts off. If I accelerate very lightly it does just fine. Once I am up to speed, 25mph or so, I can accelerate as hard as I want to and it responds just fine. The problem is only when I accelerate hard at all from a stop. This happened about a month ago. I changed the plugs and wires and the problem went away. Now it is back. I have also changed the o2 sensor and catalytic converter. Please give me some ideas to try. Thanks.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
Re: truck missing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »
An '89, huh.  Well, that's just going back to old school.  I believe that is still a carbureted engine, is it not?  Assuming you do have a carburetor have you rebuilt it and re-tuned it lately?
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:36:08 pm »
Have had similar problem in past...ended up being fuel pump.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »
Being that it's a 318 have you looked at the plenum?  Any loss of oil? Any idle issues?
http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9504.0

Before completed on the '99 we had issues with throttle response was one of the issues; push the peddle and no love :( But after it was a happy beast.  Also fixed so many other issues.

Oh and don't worry about those :quote: other places :quote:  You've found a happy place now (OK happy as long as you like a few crazies)  You'll find we're a good group. :up:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:55:07 pm »
89 iirc has a throttle body injection setup? Does sound like a fuel pressure problem.

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 06:55:43 pm »
Ok, did a little more digging (Call is Google research).  For '89 that 318 should be a throttle body injection engine.  So, disregard my carb question.  The fuel pump is a darn good question, since it is an injected engine any disruption in fuel delivery from the pump could cause your missing and shutting down issue especially in a high demand situation like romping it from a stop light.  The intake design on your engine is the much older rev and shouldn't have the belly-pan issue, that is mostly for the later engines with the cool "beer barrel" intake.  But, it certainly doesn't hurt to check for vacuum leaks, since those can cause pesky issues like you describe when warmed up.  A leak between the intake and head would be pretty common, my favorite way to search for that is let the engine idle, then spray carb cleaner along the interface of the intake to the head, if you hit a spot where the engine revs up you just found your leaky gasket.  Other typical areas for a vac leak are the rubber line to the brake booster and the rubber lines that go from the manifold to your HVAC controls.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. So you think maybe it was just a coincidence that the new plugs and wires fixed it right away but not for good? Oh, I should also mention that I am by no means a mechanic. I have a Hayne's manual and some tools so you may have to dumb things down for me. :laugh: anyway I will try the carb cleaner test for a leaky gasket and check hoses for vac leaks and post progress.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:36 am »
Did you replace the coil with the plugs and wires ? Just a thought

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:16 pm »
No, I didn't replace the coil. Just the wires and plugs.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:33:31 am »
Okay, not sure exactly what kind of ignition it has, but thinking that if it were a traditional design, maybe the advance isn't working/stuck? Seems to me if I remember right, the ignition would advance at low rpm full throttle until up to rpm, like 2000rpm. Replacing the wires may have jarred something making it work for awhile.

This is coming from a very old file in the memory bank, so I may be way off.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:56 pm »
I'm still thinking it's more likely a fuel issue.  Fuel issues are very prone to showing up based on load/demand.  Spark issues are generally very easy to spot at specific revs regardless of load.  But, doesn't hurt to cover all the bases while diagnosing, did you replace the cap and rotor along with those wires and plugs?

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »
I'm still thinking it's more likely a fuel issue.  Fuel issues are very prone to showing up based on load/demand.  Spark issues are generally very easy to spot at specific revs regardless of load.  But, doesn't hurt to cover all the bases while diagnosing, did you replace the cap and rotor along with those wires and plugs?

Yep...hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel point under the hood and drive around. See if the pressure drops off. How I found my problem.

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »
No I didn't replace them. I inspected the cap for cracks but it looked ok to me. They are not expensive so maybe I'll just change them. I figured if it was missing from a spark issue then it would miss through the entire driving range not just upon acceleration.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 08:43:51 pm »

Yep...hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel point under the hood and drive around. See if the pressure drops off. How I found my problem.
may be a dumb question but if the pressure gauge is under the hood how will I see it while I drive around?
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »

may be a dumb question but if the pressure gauge is under the hood how will I see it while I drive around?
LOL...true...get long enough rubber hose so you can see gauge while driving.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc