270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: truck missing  (Read 5003 times)

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
Re: truck missing
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 08:50:53 pm »
I'm still thinking it's more likely a fuel issue.  Fuel issues are very prone to showing up based on load/demand.  Spark issues are generally very easy to spot at specific revs regardless of load.  But, doesn't hurt to cover all the bases while diagnosing, did you replace the cap and rotor along with those wires and plugs?

Yep...hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel point under the hood and drive around. See if the pressure drops off. How I found my problem.
may be a dumb question but if the pressure gauge is under the hood how will I see it while I drive around?
LOL...true...get long enough rubber hose so you can see gauge while driving.
Well yea...that makes sense. I probably should have thought of that.
So if I hook up a pressure gauge and give it gas, if the pressure drops I should look at the fuel system?
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
If I remember correctly, you should see a certain amount of fuel pressure. If it drops below the minimum pressure you have a bad pump. I had a Bronco II years ago. Under acceleration it would bog/miss etc. Mechanic hooked up a gauge on the fuel rail and did a test drive. Saw low pressure at the rail. Replaced the pump...all fixed. Could also check fuel filter...clogged up? 
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 09:09:46 pm »
My first thought was the fuel filter but my experience is with clogged filters the vehicle would miss most all the time. What confuses me with the issue I am having is it only misses upon initial acceleration unless I give very light gas(to the point of people honking cuz I am going so slow) once it gets going I can stand on the pedal if I want to and it doesn't miss at all.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 01:09:00 am »
What about timing.  It may not be advancing initially and then catches.  On the real old vacuum advance distributors when that line leaked it acted this way. 
Just a thought
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 01:12:55 am »
Ok, I had an issue with my Focus but maybe this will help.
It had sputtering acceleration unless I really floored it and it would run rough during wet weather.
Turns out that the ignition coil maintains ground through the mounting screws. When i took to coil off I discovered that two of the three mounts were broken and not making good ground contact. Replaced it with a new coil and it runs like a top now.
Might want to check any mount points and ensure everything is grounded real well.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I am checking everything at this point. I ran it yesterday and removed one plug wire at a time and each one roughened the idle so no dead cylinder. I removed each plug and looked at the electrode. Normal gray/brown deposits so no fouling. One of the plugs had wet oil on the threads and I noticed that the valve cover was leaking oil directly above that plug. I am assuming the oil wouldn't get past the threads and cause any problems but am going to change the gasket anyway. Moving on to vac hoses now. How do you check a hose for a vac leak? If I put a finger on one end ant it has suction would that eliminate that hose as leaking?
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
I just read something interesting while pricing fuel pumps. (just in case) Has anyone had issues or heard of low fuel hesitation? My truck never ever has more than 1/4 of a tank of gas in it. I googled low fuel hesitation and found some posts from people describing the exact symptoms I have been experiencing. Any thoughts on that?
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:18 pm »
Fill it updrive it and see if it helps  :whistling:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »
When the fuel gets low like that any dirt in the tank can congregate on the filter,... and you lose lubrication in the pump itself because it uses the fuel itself to stay lubed and cool

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »
Ok so I could not find any obvious vacuum hoses leaking. I sprayed carb cleaner at the junction where the intake manifold marries up to the engine. No change in idle. I also sprayed the junction where the throttle body? marries up to the intake manifold and the idle dropped. Is this normal or a problem?
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »
Well, took off the throttle body and there was no gasket left. Changed it and the fuel filter. The fuel that dumped out of the filter was black so I figure my fuel hoses are breaking down. Also my hard fuel lies are leaking everywhere now that I changed the filter. Everywhere there is a clamp...rusted through. I must have shifted things while banging around under there. So now I am going to run all new fuel hose and see what happens.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Offline tarheelboy

• Awards:
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »
Well I am still having issues with the hesitation/missing issue. Just to recap symptoms and repairs so far:

Hesitates under normal acceleration
Extremely light acceleration it is fine. I can accelerate as hard as I want to once she gets moving.
During idle, in park, engine begins to idle rough after about 15 minutes. Idle gets worse and worse until the truck cuts off and a plume of white smoke shoots from the throttle body.
Hesitates and backfires when heavy gas applied while in park. Truck will cut off when this happens.

things I have fixed:

plugs and wires, ran great for 2 months. then...
new fuel filter
replaced bad throttle body gasket

I feel like I have eliminated a spark issue. Fuel and air are about all that is left. Does it still sound like a fuel delivery issue? I haven't checked the fuel pressure. I don't have a gauge and I don't know how. Going to try that next. Any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks.
'89 W100
3 inch lift

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc