270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Oil pressure guage shows nothing  (Read 1295 times)

Offline RamBurgundy

• Awards:
Oil pressure guage shows nothing
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »
I just purchased a 1995 3500 and will be taking delivery of it on Monday.  First order of business that I am aware of is the oil pressure gauge has no reading whatsoever.  I understand that I will need to do some testing (like actuator test), but wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if so, was it the gauge or the sensor.  From what I read about these gauges and their magnetic nature, sounds like it would be a cold day in hell before they would go bad, but that is just my newbie reading of it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers~
RB
Stay classy Ram Diego!!!

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
Re: Oil pressure guage shows nothing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:30 pm »
What size engine is in that truck?

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline RamBurgundy

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
8.0L V10

Thanks for responding!
Stay classy Ram Diego!!!

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »
No problem! 

I don't know much about the 8.0L, but I'd think the basics are the same as my '96 Dakota (just quite a bit bigger, of course.)

I had some issues with oil pressure switches and it would read no pressure for no apparent reason.  Mine was a pretty simple swap, just a small pain to get to since it was between the engine and firewall, so there wasn't much space to work with.

I'd say that would be the easiest place to start (and the cheapest) besides an oil change.  It's always best to be sure that you have enough oil in there to actually have pressure.

And welcome to the crazy house!

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline RamBurgundy

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:18:37 am »
Thanks for the tip JetNoise.  I will look into that.

Cheers~
RB
Stay classy Ram Diego!!!

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:52:51 pm »
Stock or aftermarket gauge? Stock gauges seem a little more durable sometimes. But my only experience happens to be with chevys---S-10's in fact. My 91 went thru around 10 sending units until I got one that lasted more than a year. It would work for awhile then go to zero pressure and stay there. Was told there was a manufacturing defect and just had to go thru them until I got a good one.  :argh: All under warranty, but got to know the service techs a little more than I wished to.

My current S-10 had the gauge start fluctuating a couple days ago when the son was using it. bounce between 60 and 20 until it just quit. Checked the oil, was low so installed 3 quarts to get it up on the dip stick. Drove 25 miles home and gauge started up again. Checked and no oil! Yep, rear main seal is toast.  :suicide:  Luckily there appears to be no damage, at least no knocking or banging yet. Tell tale sign was the vast amount of oil all over the bottom of the truck. YUCK!

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc