270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 5 inch lift kit install  (Read 1953 times)

Offline ram1500

• Awards:
5 inch lift kit install
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:54:48 am »
I have a couple of questions regarding installation of a 5" Rough Country lift kit on my '97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Is this a fairly straight forward install? In other words will there be any interference such as brake line lengthening or other issues? I have done a lot of work to this truck to keep it going but never attempted a Lift install before. It doesn't seem like much to do except dealing with the suspension, which I've never done before. These appear to be common lift kits among the Dodge community members so I wonder if someone could give some feedback, what to expect, pictures of install, anything that might guide me.....any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: 5 inch lift kit install
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:37:02 am »
You may need to get longer rubber break lines not sure I never put a 5 lift on , drive shaftes may need to be lengthened

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:17:51 am »
My 2001 had a 4.5" Skyjacker lift and didn't need anything other than the parts that came in the kit.  More than likely it's a 5" front and only 2.5"-3" in the rear so it will be level or close to it.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:34:07 pm »
The kit should have everything you need in it. The only thing to consider is longer brake lines at some point, and start thinking about an indexing ring for your transfer case, right now with my lift if i put the truck in 4wd, the front driveshaft binds up sometimes because of the angle its at.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline ram1500

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:11:37 pm »
The kit should have everything you need in it. The only thing to consider is longer brake lines at some point, and start thinking about an  for your transfer case, right now with my lift if i put the truck in 4wd, the front driveshaft binds up sometimes because of the angle its at.
I was wondering about the angle of the drive-shaft being an issue. The part info about the indexing ring is good to know. Thanks for the information.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc