270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 12 gauge ammo  (Read 2111 times)

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
12 gauge ammo
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:55:19 pm »
My boy and I decided to pull out the 12 gauge yesterday and fire a few rounds off. Jerry hadn't ever fired the 12 gauge before. ;D We ran through all my 15 year old bird shot quickly. He went out today and bought another box of 2+3/4" bird shot shells. The brass part of the new shells is considerably shorter than the old ones. In the picture the new is in the foreground and the old is in the background. Is that how the new shells should look or did he get some cheap shells that could be dangerous??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Re: 12 gauge ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:07 am »
From what ive always heard, they're a cheaper shell and that they're better used in pumps. Its the semi-autos that are picky and they like the higher brass. That was until i recently just found some stuff online saying thats the way it "used" to be and people never really changed their thinking since the loads have been advanced.

I guess i really dont know why but i have always personally liked a higher brass. I buy the better rounds from Fiocchi... one because they're Italian (everything Italian is better, right? ;D) and two because they always seem to pack more of a punch and give me better long range results. Theres no scientific research to my theory's, though...  :lol:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »
Unless your gun is finicky about which type it likes to eat it should make no difference between the high/low brass types.  I had a pump gun that absolutely refused to cycle high brass shells.  In my bolt action and break action there is no noticeable difference.

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot one thing....  :fu: for having warm enough weather to be out shooting. :lol:

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
12 gauge ammo
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »
Thanks guys! Yes Nick everything Italian is better... ;D

I did a little reading after I posted this last night and found that the lower brass has a smaller charge / less velocity. Which is good for us messing around in the back yard. Wouldn't want to kill a neighbors animal or anything. Plus that high brass ammo seemed to kick like hell and bruised me and my boy pretty good where the stock rested on out chests.... :lol:

The shotgun is a Winchester model 1300 pump. It cycled the high brass just fine. I guess we'll see how it cycles the low brass as soon as the bruises heal up. ;D

Dennis, move south young man! There are computers and networks down here too! :up:

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:18 pm »

Dennis, move south young man! There are computers and networks down here too! :up:

Yes, but the South doesn't have the weather his lovely Saint would need ;)
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
12 gauge ammo
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:51:39 pm »

Yes, but the South doesn't have the weather his lovely Saint would need ;)

We have lakes down here too..., that's what they're for, to cool off yer dawg! ;D

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot one thing....  :fu: for having warm enough weather to be out shooting. :lol:

X2...   ;D  We got lakes to cool off dawgs too, but they're a little hard right now.

Back in the day I think the low brass was used for upland birds, rabbits, and such. Along with trap/clay shooting. I'd definitely use them for messing around being cheaper and such. My Ithaca 37 shoots either or just fine.  :up:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc