270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Saginaw Bay ice fishing  (Read 1439 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Saginaw Bay ice fishing
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:01 am »
Even though this winter has been brutal at times, it hasn't stopped the ice fishing. When the temps drop in the negatives they collect on the river. Perch catches have been good, and as usual the walleye have been fantastic, with many getting limits every time. 7-10lb'ers are somewhat common with a 14lber caught just the other day! There have also been a few surprises caught. Usually you here of one or two Lake Trout pulled thru the ice in the bay, no doubt a straggler from the lake and the fact that most are traveling 9-12 miles out on the ice. But this year they have caught many Lake Trout and closer to shore (5 miles or so). Friend at the bow club caught a 39" 14lb Lake Trout last Monday thru the ice. And we have also heard of 2 Lake Sturgeon on the bay and one in the River! Why is this exciting? because sturgeon are very susceptible to the environment, so seeing them means the waters are cleaner than they have been in many years. Should be a wonderful summer for fishing this year, I just gotta find time to get on the water.

61" Lake Sturgeon caught on the River. Had 6 lures in him and wrapped in line. They cleaned him up and let go.  :up:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Re: Saginaw Bay ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:10:06 am »
Awesome, awesome, awesome! That sturgeon would be the catch of a lifetime! Neat to hear it was swimming around in your waters. I would love to fish up your way... id love to get into some 'eyes! We have plenty of them in our lake, too... but we're more known for perch. Plus, i can walk 100 yards off the shore and be in great perch territory. We also have an excellent pike and musky fishery, too. Its always cool to be looking down the holes (our lake is generally crystal clear) and seeing a monster musky or pike checking your stuff out.

I dunno about your ice this year, but ours got THICKKKKK!!! As soon as it hit 8" in January before those forecasted negative temps, i said hell with it! I ordered a gas auger. I go out probably 1-3 times a week so i knew itd be worth it and brotha, it was! We have 2' of ice as of today. Thats semi truck driving territory! lol

I have been out probably around 15 times this season so far and its been tough. Im assuming its because of the thick ice not letting oxygen getting down into the water or something?! Either way, i got skunked plenty of times this year. More than im proud to admit! lol I did however do good this week. I went out Monday and kept 19 and i went out today and kept 9. Nothing over 11", but still good eaters!

Oh, and i finally figured id take advantage of the perch spearing thats allowed in our lake this year! I never knew how much fun that'd be! A lot of the times the big guys just come in to look and leave... now i have a solution for that!  :43:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:21:30 am by NickC »

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:40:00 pm »
Don't have to tell me about perch. There is absolutely no better seafood than fresh lake perch.  :punk: One of these days I'm gonna get down there and do some Muskie fishing. I've been wanting to try that for a long time. Walking out 100yds and perch fish is great! That's one reason why I gave up ice fishing a few years back and sold all my gear. Out on the bay if you don't have a 'wheeler or a sled you're S.O.L. as you have to go out MILES to get the great spots. Yea first/last ice is good and fairly close, but you're still talking a mile or two. Talked to quite a few guys this year that stayed home because of the temps. These guys are diehards, but with the temps in the morning at -5 or lower, then add a 9 mile ride at 20-30mph, it's just brutal cold. Which is good, more fish for me in the summer.  :up:

A gas auger is a smart investment. I've spudded many a hole in my day and don't really care to do it ever again.  :lol: Ice here is really thick, some needing the extension on the auger to break thru.  :eek:  Experts say the lakes are about 85% froze over so should see an increase in water levels this summer.

Spearing for perch? Never seen that before. And I see it works pretty good. Up here spearing is kind of a lost art. Some still spear Pike, but few and far between. Nothing more intimidating than a monster spear locked into a spring loaded launcher. Deadly.

Right now our local walleye contest is just wrapping up (Sunday). Top three places are over 11lbs...

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »
The spearing for our lake is probably more appealing than most lakes because other than the shipping channels, our lake averages anywhere from 9-12' deep. Its very shallow. When im spearing perch, im generally in 4-6' of water and most of the days, our lake it clear as glass so it works out perfect. We have a lot of pike spearers, too But i dont really eat pike so ill never know what its like to spear one. A lot of the pike guys have to be careful, we have a very large population of musky and those are on the do not touch list! lol

I have also always wanted to target the musky in our lake (Lake St Clair). I hear that we have one of the best lakes in the nation for musky. Whether thats true or not, i dunno... but i do know that whenever i go out fishing in the summer, i usually see their silhouettes near the top water column. Never had the pleasure to hook onto one, though.

Funny that you mentioned the extension piece of everyone's augers. People here are doing that same! lol! Thats when you know theres too much ice. That forum that you pointed me onto a few years back has been my absolute best friend! Im obsessed with reading the reports on that site. Many people fish the exact same spots that i do so its nice to hear how others did. I found a pretty cool site through that site that shows the satellite image of the state and our water ways. I generally just look at it for the ice coverage on our lake but its pretty neat to see. It updates daily i think and they take multiple shots so you can pick the best show without clouds in the way. You can see how iced up everything got this year... check it out if you find time!

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc