270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: loosing power.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline j.marcum614

• Awards:
loosing power.
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:12:06 pm »
First off I just want to say that I am new here and I really hope yall can help me out. I got a 94 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 and out of nowhere she started wigging out on me. it is shifting fine and aint leaking fluids, but i got this hissing sound that seems to be coming from the front driver side area. That faster it goes the louder it gets.(I think is a exhaust leak up near the manifold) The problem im worried about is as follows; it happens going 35 and its happens going 70,(Although i made from autozone, 5mi. cruising 50 without an issue. Only time since it started happening) itll start to slow down, it went from 60 to 50 without me moving my foot until i tap the gas, then itll get back up to speed and start all over.The only thing ive done to it(other then drive it) is change the plugs and wires. The wires were from a different car but i cant see it having that kind of effect. my rpms will bounce up and down in bout a 300rpm range.(depending on how fast i go) and i can move my foot almost an inch with no effect(when its acting up). if I tap it a bit i can get it up to 60 but then after a couple of min the engine will go quiet like i let off the gas and start to loose speed, then about 10sec later itll jerk and start going again. I already checked the codes, one for a o2 sensor and one for an internal temperature sensor in the tranny. The tranny thing has been on there for a year, never an issue. I already unhooked the 02sensor from the cat, helped but didnt fix. I checked the fuel pump and the asd relays, both clicking. Test the fuel pressure, solid 38, idling and going 60 and while the problem is accruing. batterys strong, alternator is quiet and all the gauges seem fine. Oh yeah, all the vacuum lines look to be in good shape and after about a week of this prob, maybe 40mi later. now its starting to die on me as I pull in and out of my driveway. The guy at autozone told me it sounded like a ICM problem and the guy from o'reillys said something about the transfer case locks up after so long to cut down on drag and that it was trying to do that, but having issues. Im stumped, Well I appreciate yalls help if you have any ideas

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: loosing power.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »
Welcome!

They have sensors on the throttle (tps) back on those years?
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »
You said it's not leaking oil but is it loosing oil?

The rest of it souls like the plenum gasket on the old '99 we used to have; weird idle, power loss, etc..

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9504.0
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline 1970496STChevelle

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    1000HPTech CertifiedDistinguished
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, 318's are known for that.

1970 Chevelle 496 Single 101mm Turbo . . . Stock door panels and rear seat. (It was easier to say what is stock than list all the mods.)
2004 Duramax Heavy Dooty, Edge CTS, S&B intake, MPRP exhaust

1965 Corvette Stingray (Dad's car)
1970 Corvette Convertible (Mom's car)
1931 Sedan Delivery (Grandfather's, bought new)

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:45:19 pm »
The hissing and crazy engine fluctuations definitely sounds like a vacuum leak.  Exhaust leaks usually sound more like a tick-tick than a big hiss.  The diaphragm for the power brake booster is a very common place for a noisy and erratic hiss like that.  Definitely start checking all the vacuum hoses connected to the manifold.  If you hear it better in the cab than you do outside it could even be something in the HVAC that sprang a vac leak.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline j.marcum614

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »
Ive spent three hrs trying to find a vacuum leak with no luck. i dont know if its louder in the cab or not cause it only makes the noise when its accelerating. i tried to rev it up in park and in drive with the brakes while someone tried to pinpoint it, but the sound was it there. It was eating oil but a simple oil change fixed that. And it has over 200,000mi on it. I figured the plenum went bad and replaced a long time ago. but i can do the magnet test to be sure.

So my next step is to test the TPS , IAC, triple check the vacuum lines and test the plenum. I appreciate yalls input and feel free to keep'em coming. Ill keep yall posted.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc