270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Radio swap, now truck wont start  (Read 1135 times)

Offline j.marcum614

• Awards:
Radio swap, now truck wont start
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:52 am »
 Alright, well I just got a 98 ram 1500. I took the system out of my 94 so I could put it in the 98. It all hooked up the same except one wire. The 94 has a ground with a circle ring on the end the goes to the screw in the back of my stereo. But the 98 has(what I assume is the ground) a clip(kinda, looks like a clip, but doesnt actually clip) that slides onto an arm that sticks out the back of the factory radio case.(looks somthing like this """"\____/"""" The low part being the back of the radio and the high being the arms) So anyways, I just cut the end of the supposed ground and wrapped it around the screw on the new radio. Radio works good, amp comes on and the subs bump. But then when I Try to start the car all I get is the constant clicking sound. Sounds like the battery is dead, just louder. I tested the battery and im getting a solid 11.5v. I unhooked the stereo and it didnt change anything. I checked the ignition, radio and engine fuses in the cab(check the rest tomorrow) but they was all good. The only thing I can think of is that wire I cut being part of the anti-theft, but im just spit-balling. Well thanks in advance for all yalls help and I really hope to figure this out soon. Be nice to actually be able to drive my truck!!!

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Radio swap, now truck wont start
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:44:14 am »
Wow, that sucks. I'm not gonna be much help, but I'm thinking your probably on to something with the anti-theft. If you can get a manual with the wiring diagrams might be able to chase the suspect wire and find out for sure. Lilfroger has a link to a crap load of online manuals. If not there possibly a chilton manual should have a wiring diagram and can pick them up at the local library.

I found the link. Click here...

http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:49:55 am by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:55 am »
My scribe link is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay broken. They popped all my documents for "copy write infringement"  :pout:  I gotta get off my rump and find a new place to store them (hey her's a thought...oh look we have our own forum w/ all this great informations ... maybe I just need to get off my rump and post them up under here :lol: )

I can't remember right now if I've got the 97' wiring diagrams or not.  I'll find out shortly :)
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:37 am »
Check with Crutchfield.com  They have a lot of experience and helped me out with a bunch of questions.

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 02:55:03 pm »
Looks like I either don't have it anymore or just can't bloody find it in all these electronic archives I have anymore.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc