270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: driveline swap  (Read 1516 times)

Offline JohnM

• Awards:
driveline swap
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
Just looking for your opinion folks.  I have a running 99' 1500 360 auto Quad cab short bed.  Just picked up a 01' 2500 5.9 w/6sp low miles std cab long bed (free).  Both 4x4.  My 99' is a great gas truck, fully loaded Sport, just flipped 120,000mi. 01' was rolled, straight frame, cab & bed are toast.  Should I: A) swap the bodies so I have a loaded 2500; B) swap the complete drivetrain & electrical under the 1500 frame?  What do you all think?   :Mechanic:  I been wondering how to justify to the wife a $7000 custom gas motor & tranny for the 1500 for awhile now.  Been increasing my towing and offroading in the past year, and now this dropped into my lap!   :punk:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: driveline swap
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:20:34 am »
Just to clarify, is the '01 5.9 a 360 gas or diesel? If it's diesel then swapping sheet metal would be the easiest. If it's gas (which I'm thinking it is) it still might be the easier way to go. You could swap drive lines, but the 2500 has a heavier, stronger frame. If the only thing wrong with the 2500 is the sheet metal then swapping bodies might be the way to go, you will get the heavier chassis. Just my opinion anyway.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline JohnM

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »
Sorry, should have made it a little clearer.  Yes, the 01' is diesel.   BTW, I grew up outside B.C., so I've seen that sign frozen over too. ;D

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »
B.C. ?

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:52:26 am »
At first I was thinking British Columbia, but if he's seen THAT sign then must be Battle Creek?

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc