270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Figured out engine tick but need advice for the repair  (Read 1450 times)

Offline INBrett

• Awards:
Figured out engine tick but need advice for the repair
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:49:40 am »
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 with 5.7L.  Found out it has a broken bolt between the manifold and gasket.  Dealership wants $1800 because they will put a new head and manifold on it.  I am ordering everything through Rock Auto for just over $500.  My buddy says we should just try and remove all bolts and try to save the head.  I am thinking since I will already have a new head on hand, we should just replace it.  Been driving like this for a little while and it is getting a little worse.  So do I need to plan on just replacing the head or try to get bolts out and only replace the manifold?  Please advise.

Thanks, Brett

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Figured out engine tick but need advice for the repair
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
Is this a broken exhaust manifold bolt or a intake manifold bolt? Either way I wouldn't write off the head just yet. Since it sounds like you are planning on pulling the head anyway, I would try removing the broken bolt. Don't know for sure but I am assuming that it's a cast iron head and not aluminum? Broken exhaust bolts/studs are pretty common actually, especially when you try and remove them. Should be able to remove the broken one and replace it with out to much trouble. One of them jobs that's rates pretty high on the finesse chart. Take your time. If not to sure about it, take the head to a mechanic/machine shop and they should be able to remove it quite easily and quickly. Definitely cheaper than a new head.  :up:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
I would at least attempt to remove the broken bolt before I removed the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline INBrett

• Awards:
Re: Figured out engine tick but need advice for the repair
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »
Finally received all of my parts from Rock Auto (just in case) so I had them on hand.  Pulled exhaust manifold off.  Had two bolt heads broken off and one bolt broken off flush with head.  The two studs came out very easily.  Then held a nut over the broke off stud and welded through the hole and onto the stud.  Let it cool and it backed out very easily.  The dealer said they would not even try to remove broken bolts because they never have any luck so it was going to cost $1800 and take over a day.  Did the job in about 3 hours and only cost $140.  Runs great now.  Just have to return everything but better to have on hand in case I needed them.   Thanks

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc