270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Awful Grinding Noise, After Driveshaft Flew Off  (Read 1165 times)

Offline ThatDudeMike

• Awards:
Awful Grinding Noise, After Driveshaft Flew Off
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
Hello. I recently replaced the U-Joints in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. As I was driving to work this morning, going about 70, the truck vibrated a little then suddenly the driveshaft comes flying off the truck & onto the road. I abruptly pulled over, turned off the truck, & picked up the driveshaft from the side of the road. Upon inspection, the U-Joints had come apart. The flange was still on the spindle of the tranny, so I pulled that off as well. I am now having it towed.

My bigger issue is, now the truck is making an awful grinding noise when its running. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission, but I could not tell for sure upon a quick inspection (I had to leave it temporarily & get to work). After the driveshaft initially flew off & I pulled over, I did notice the grinding noise then, but I was too concerned with picking up the driveshaft from the road. It also almost felt like the truck would not go into park, but it did, it seems.

Could the transmission have been damaged when the driveshaft flew off? I am thinking about taking it to a shop, but I would like to know what the issue could possible be, so I know a little more of what to expect.

Any ideas what this grinding noise could be? Any input would be helpful & appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Awful Grinding Noise, After Driveshaft Flew Off
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:49:55 am »
Probably gonna be real hard to tell without a tear down of the trans. Off the top of my head could possibly have ruined a bearing on the input shaft or destroyed the gear on the shaft. If the noise is definitely coming from the trans then a tear down is gonna be needed.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Awful Grinding Noise, After Driveshaft Flew Off
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »
If the truck was in gear and running and you tried to put it in park it could have been the parking pawl grinding because there was nothing to keep everything from turning. Can you get it into park with the engine off and then start it and see if the noise is still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc