270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2004 help  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Deathontwolegs55

• Awards:
2004 help
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:06 pm »
Hi. First I'd like to say how much I appreciate the time and effort you all provide to help those in need. I remember the day when riding down to the local mechanic with gobs of questions about fixing my car. They'd look stuff up, listen, and even troubleshoot to help you learn and make the repair at home...saving tons. No more, at least where I live. I know you can only provide limited advice since you're not hands on, but here's hoping I get pushed in the right direction.

I own a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 with 223K miles. I purchased it new and have not needed to perform any major repair. I replaced the radiator a couple of months ago and the two hoses. Other than that, filters, plugs, battery, etc. The other day I heard a sound and it came to a stop with steam/smoke coming from under the hood. I couldn't tell which since it was dark. Had it towed. You could turn engine but wouldn't start.

After a few days It started but shut off after 15 secs. Btw, i filled the radiator with a significant amount of fluid. Today I started it and it ran until I shut it off. When depressing the accelerator, it felt very smooth, but, but at idle, it felt rough, like a bad plug feels. I shut it down after a few minutes. While walking away I looked back and saw where aprox 1/2 cup of water was under left side (my left) where water pump is located.

Does this best describe blown head gasket, defective water pump, or other?

I honestly feel I've received fair service from this van, but at current milage, I don't think putting significant money into it.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: 2004 help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:18:25 pm »
Even with out the CEL being on sometimes there are codes recorded - might be helpful.

"To retrieve codes with out a 3rd party programmer - Insert key and turn from off to on (with out starting) 3 times.  Any codes will display on the ODO."

-do not get frustrated if nothing comes up on the first (or 10th try) its all about timing and takes several tries for almost everyone.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Deathontwolegs55

• Awards:
Re: 2004 help
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:40:12 pm »
The code references low oil pressure, cable, etc. I've had that issue for some time. Thanks anyway.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc