270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Time to R&R my 48re?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline matthew77

• Awards:
Time to R&R my 48re?
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »
Just turned 120k on my '05 TD 48re. From what I read, may be a good time to R&R the trans.
Trans is working fine, but I pull a 13k RV with the truck, (and have pulled it for the life of the truck) We also travel south for the winter. I am out of adjustment on the front band.
Any suggestions as to if it is a good ideal to R&R, and if so, where to get it done. Would like some kind of breakdown coverage for when we travel out of state/area.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Time to R&R my 48re?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:57 am »
Well, I'm from the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then again I also pull a 5'er across the states and being on the side of the road is also not an option. Auto trans for our trucks is not a cheap thing to deal with. And you need to know how far the build will go. If you are going to just 'freshen up' the trans, then a reputable trans shop should be able to get the job done. If you are looking for something more bullet proof, then suncoast or garmon's are probably the best there is. This route is more expensive and more than likely a 'swap' instead of a rebuild. Might help if you let us know what state you hail from.

As for me, after many articles about auto trans, I elected to go the manual route......

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:43:20 am »
I used an ATS for about 75K miles, it held up OK, except that no one can rebuild them except ATS. Ditched it and have replaced it with a full billet trans from Garmons. So far…..so good.

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline matthew77

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:30 pm »
Home base is Wisconsin, go to southwest for winter break. The truck is a 3500 dully '05, with the TD. As far as I am concerned, I have enough power & torque. My concern is just as stated, it is not fun sitting on the side of the road, waiting/hoping to get a tow for both the truck AND the 5er.
I was thinking of a "re-fresh" and I know they have to pull the trans to do this. My thinking is that the oem served me well, that if we just 're-fresh' back to oem condition with a new torque converter, it would last another 120k, after I would not have to worry about it.
Just looking for information as to who would be best/good to do the 're-fresh' work. A local trans shop, a Dodge dealer, or???

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:09 am »
In all reality the local dodge dealer may just farm out the trans to a local driveline shop. Need to ask. To find a local place, ask questions, do a little research and find a shop you trust. Most can do a refresh pretty well, very few can do a full on bullet proof race trans. Plus the local guy can freshen up with better quality parts like governor solenoid, heavy duty clutches, better quality torque converter and such for probably cheaper or the same price as a dealer would with stock mopar parts.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:50:58 pm »
When you have it done put a better TQ Converter and Valve Body with maybe a billet input shaft you will be happier

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc