270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: need opinion  (Read 1294 times)

Offline waylon2001

• Awards:
need opinion
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:43:18 am »
Ok well I got no post on my last one but this is what happen I was replacing the plenum on my truck and shape a intake manfold bolt on the head so I took the heads off and sent them to a shop to get fixed up the shop said I had cracks in them I said ok. No problem I bought 2 rebuild heads and put everything back together with a new upper hose and t stat 185 and before you ask no it was not overheated I changed it to a 185 because I live in tx. 100 degree plus down here any ways thats not the problem the truck didnt smoke befor til I got the rebuild heads at start up it puffs out smoke I checked coolant and the oil level over and over it can't be a head gasket or rings. Right??? Any waysI hope to hear from some one ill be doing a ccompression check tomorrow. But im like 95% sure its the rebuild heads. And it does not matter at what temp cold or hot it will smoke if you let it sit for 20 mins. Like so here is the video Dodge form help:

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: need opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:25:34 pm »
I know you mentioned redoing the plenuim but man that's what it looks like. Did you use the Dodge one of the Hughes one? How confident are you that all the old seal was cleaned off? Did you add the rtv during install?

The compression test should tell you more.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline waylon2001

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:38 pm »
The shop said it was rebuild and I use the Felipe gasket on it  I checked the gasket even shined a light down the trodle body no oil on it but smoke is poring out of it after warm I had my brother ride behide me there's just a smell of oil on the t hrodle  its bad.

Offline waylon2001

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »
The gasket is fine I cleaned that off and no I didnt put no silicon on it did the two on it everything to the t it never smoke till I put them heads on I gave it  2 weeks I put 500 miles on it..

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:38 am »
Good deal. The way I read it, it sounded like you did them at the same time.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline waylon2001

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:51 am »
Up dated removed the 180 t stat put a 195 back In it after warm up no more smoke ...... I think its the rings note to all dodge owners dont remover the 195 t stat bad move!!!!!!! Dont know how but now my rings are bad..... great time for a rebuild oh will Wanted to beef it up a lil any ways just need to save up t he money

Offline waylon2001

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
Ok I didnt have money to do the compression test but I needed to do an oil change the oil is thin out real bad. The oil was like water. And after doing the oil change  drove it for 80 miles checked it agian thin as befor. And smokes less. Whats going on....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc