270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2003 Ram 2500 heating issues  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Cowboy66112003

• Awards:
2003 Ram 2500 heating issues
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:37 am »
I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with some heating issues. Coolant is full and good for -25. Both of the radiatior hoses are getting water flow through them. That should eliminate both the thermostat and water pump. Plus I just replaced the thermostat. I have not checked the heater hoses going into the firewall yet to ensure that they are hot. Assuming they are getting hot, my vents blow hot at first, then start slowly cooling down. The passenger side stays a little warm the whole time, but the drivers side stays cold. I don't have dual controls. I can't put the fan above level 2 or it is just cold period. The modes appear to be working correctly. I don't have a re-circ button. Please fill me in on what could be the problem.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: 2003 Ram 2500 heating issues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:30:18 am »
This sounds like the Blend door issue. It mixes the exterior and interior air. I had to get mine fixed (2006 2500) but Im not sure if your model has the same design/could have the same issue.
We'll see if the other folks pipe up about it.

http://dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6660.0
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »
The same design goes back to the beginning of the 2nd generation rams.  Its an easy fix to do thru the fan motor area.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/95123-heater-blower-motor-working-but-not-blowing-air-easy-recirc-door-replacement.html
I know its not posted on this forum, but its easier than pulling the whole dash.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cowboy66112003

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:23 pm »
I was afraid somebody was going to say the blend door. Jim, your easier fix is for the recirc door. That is not my problem, I am getting air. Now if you know of an easier way than pulling the dash for the blend door, then by al means please inform me. My question is if this is such a common problem, why is Dodge not taking care of this issue for people. It is upwards to $1000 repair or 8 hours of work. In the cold for those who do not have the luxury of a heated garage. My kids ride in this truck and having very little to no heat in michigan is not good. Guess I'll have to shop around for a much lower price. I have no desire to tear my dash apart. Thanks for the info.

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:49:11 am »
Check th recir door though.  Doesn't take 5 minutes to pull the fan motor down and stick your hand up in the hole.  I had no heat when mine failed.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cowboy66112003

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:13:56 am »
Jim, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

Offline Cowboy66112003

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
Nope not the recirc door.

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »
Did you check the heater core? I've never heard of one clogging on these trucks but it's a possibility. I'd pull the hoses and blow it out with a garden hose.  :cents:

Offline gasjr4wd

• Awards:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:08:41 am »
I pulled this from another forum:
Also be sure its the recirc door causing the problem. There are 3 doors:
Mode door - selects the direction the air is going to blow ie: defrost, feet, ect
Blend door - blends hot and cold air to your selection
Recirc door - choice between fresh outside air or in cab air. You'll know if this is the culprit if your blower motor is on high and hardly blowing.
These things are very common on Dodge, Jeep, and all mopar that use the same HVAC box. One of the doors can fall down and block the air.
You don't have to remove the dash or heater box to repair these. Look at Heater Treater, Dorman, and even Dodge redesigned the doors.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc