270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Got some easy questions for you camper guys  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
Got some easy questions for you camper guys
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:16 am »
Lorie and I are looking at renting a 17-19 foot camper from the MWR. I've been looking at some KOA sites in north west ga but also looking at other areas.

What are some things to look out for when not only renting a camper, but also camp sites, local attractions, and anything else one can think of?

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Got some easy questions for you camper guys
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:22 pm »
Is it just the 2 of you or the all the little ones too? 17-19ft will get a little small with kids and bad weather, so make sure you pick a weekend with great weather.  :lol: As for the rental part, read the contract over good so you know what is and isn't expected. The dealer near me that rents, pretty much expects is to return in the same condition it left in. Clean and tidy with full propane tanks. Also check what comes with it. You'll need your bedding, will you need hoses and such?, comes with dishes/utensils? Check insurance, they will probably have some available (like a rental car) but you may be able to get it cheaper with better coverage from your own insurance provider. Also check it over to note every ding, broken hinge, stain, etc. and make sure everything works before you take it (fridge, water heater, furnace, water pump, etc). Pretty much just like renting a car.

As for campsites, that's personal preference. Some need 3 acres minimum to camp, some don't mind parking lots. Generally from my experience the average sites are around 30ft by 40ft. Most of the time a back in site will be more roomier than a pull thru site. Pull thru's are usually longer and narrower, but tend to be full hookup (water, electric, sewer). Smaller trailers have smaller holding tanks, so if it's gonna be more than a weekend, might want a full hook up site with sewer. Back in the day friends of ours had a good system when camping with there 3 small kids. Mom and dad took showers and used the camp bath houses, and the kids took baths in the camper. Made the holding tank last a little longer. Also the nice thing about a site with sewer is that there is no waiting around at the dump station. When you pull off your site you are on your way.

For the most part KOA's are nice campgrounds, with most having activities for the kids. But they are usually more pricey than other campgrounds. My thoughts are to find a spot you want to go, whether an amusement park, woods, tourist area, whatever. Then look for campgrounds in that area. You can do a google search, or there are apps that can do the same thing. All Stays Camp and RV, KOA, Good Sam Camping, etc. Franchise campgrounds (KOA, Jellystone, etc) are good, but sometimes a private park or even a state park can be a better experience. Another thing I've been doing is when I choose a campground I haven't been to before, I'll bring it up on google earth and get an actual birds eye view.

Anything more specific don't hesitate to ask. I envy you guys down south. I just winterized mine last weekend and already feeling cabin fever set in.  :pout:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:29:16 am »
It is just going to be the two of us. And I got a smoking deal, $120 for the whole thanksgiving weekend.

Granted this is the first time we have done this it will be an adventure.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »
WAZZUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Rich used to rent trailer form the Army during our GTG's. You might be able to get an even more smoking deal that way.

KOA's are nice. So are Yogi Bear campgrounds. I've found the Yogi's to have the nicest / cleanest bathrooms and showers. I used to try and find one when I camped on my bike.

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:58:10 am »
Donny, that is where I am getting the camper, the MWR at Dobbins air reserve base. Had to upgrade to a 23 footer due to now the kids are coming along. $200 for 6 days is pretty good.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »
What Ken said X 2  :up:

$200 for 6 days...sounds like a good deal!

Hey Ken,

What is winterizing?  :lol:  Prime camping weather is now here. Heading out tomorrow for a weekend at one of the State parks. Think we have reservations/plans for every month until March of 2015.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:01:47 pm »
Hey Drew...let me know if you get adventurous and head further South. Always looking for a reason to go camping.  :up:

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:38:58 am »
Will do smitty. We are just using this as something different. If we do enjoy it then I can see us hitting the Redneck Rivera down your way.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Got some easy questions for you camper guys
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:27:48 am »
Drew, Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach is the bomb for Thanksgiving! Full hookups, private gated family friendly park, indoor pool, playground for the kids, and the campground provides turkey and ham for everyone you just have to bring a side dish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:03:28 am »
Heading up to lookout mountian. Should be fun.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »
Been there several times. A nice place.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:32:32 am »

Granted this is the first time we have done this it will be an adventure.

Couple words of advice for the first time.....Roll with it! More than likely you are gonna forget something, not remember to do something, something doesn't work, etc. Just roll with it. You'll have a great time.

Many times when traveling south we would see the sign for Ruby Falls and always threatened to stop and check it out. Although not much call to head that way lately, but the wife's sister and husband are thinking of getting a place in Florida. So just might be doing the FLA thing sooner than later. Have to say I kind of liked hanging out in the keys.....

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
Just some pix. Will get more up later. We had a blast and Lorie is actally talking about the next time we go camping in this manner.  ;D

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 12:42:28 am »
Congrats!  Now whatever you do don't go looking at any RV dealerships!  :fart:
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:34:38 am »
Oh of course not don't go to a dealership ... if you're going to do the stress ... go to an RV Show!!! Then you'll REALLY be in trouble :)

Glad you guys had a good time!
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc