270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DC or bust!  (Read 1840 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
DC or bust!
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »
Reservations are made and confirmed. Heading to DC this summer  :cho: A trip we have been planning for several years and this seems to be the year all the stars are aligning. Anyone been there? Besides the usual sightseeing stuff, anything I should not miss? anything I should pass on by? Any out of the way stuff that a normal tourist wouldn't find? Gonna be there for a week, which I'm sure isn't gonna be long enough, but will do as much as we can.

I see Baltimore isn't very far away, nor is Alexandria, or Harper's Ferry. Love the civil war stuff. The main goal is DC proper, but wouldn't mind a side trip or two if time allows. I know we have some members in the Maryland area, just not sure where. I'm gonna be in the College Park area (I think that's right).

Going with the wife, her 2 sisters, and a brother in law. 5 adults, a cat, all in a 34ft. fifth wheel. Should be the trip of a lifetime.  :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: DC or bust!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »
Where are you staying?
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:18 pm »
Xanax
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:38:46 pm »
No firearms, no ammo, no brass, no expended rounds, no .50 cal bottle openers...

Beyond that, Arlington National Cemetery, Changing of the guards, if you can find one where they are doing a wreath laying, much more impressive.  National Air & Space museum, and the ANNEX to the museum, it's a ride, but the thing is packed wall to wall with planes to include an SR-71 and one of the Shuttles.  Walk the National Mall, especially if there's good weather. 

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »
Wife and I went up a few years back. We ended up taking one of the tour buses. Worked out pretty good...did not have to worry about traffic, parking, etc. Agree with Arlington! We also hit the White House. Not sure if they are still doing tours there or not.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:20 pm »
Another vote for Arlington and the changing of the guards.  I'd recommend the American History museum in addition to the Air and Space.

The Ford Theater tour is pretty cool too.  And there's a little dive next to it to grab a decent lunch for a reasonable price.

If you want to get inside the White House you have to arrange it through your senator/representative.  Otherwise standing in the street is as close as you can get.

We did a night bus tour of the monuments.  It was pretty cool to see everything lit up after dark.

Other than that, stay outside the city and take the subway in.  A week unlimited subway pass is far cheaper/easier than dealing with parking anywhere in DC.  Nearly everything is really convenient off the subway and the trains run often enough that it's never a long wait for one to head any direction you need to go.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:10:43 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. Being a history/war buff Arlington is on the top of the list. If it were me I could spend the whole week at the Smithsonian. The Annex is a great suggestion! Never thought of that. I also forgot the Washington DC, the capital of our country, is a communist state. Not bringing any firearms, but will remember to remove all firearms related accessories. Also never thought of the Ford theater. That will go on the list to. As for eating out, we found that by following the locals you can find the best prices and the best food.  :up: The White House tour is on the list, but can't apply for tickets more than 6 months in advance, so I have to wait a few weeks yet. Seen a current pic of the White House on the news and it's completely wrapped in scaffolding. Hoping it's done by summer, probably not.

Got reservations at Cherry Hill Park. There website has got a lot of useful info that I've been reading also. Thinking the Grayline bus tour right off the bat, get to see most everything, and then we can pick and choose what to see in more depth and what we may pass by. They seem to offer many different tours, so gonna scope that out also. The DC metro has a bus stop right at the campground, or they say it's only 5-10 minute drive to the train station. Have no intention of driving into the city. My only experience was the capitol beltway with trailer in tow....not a fuzzy feeling traffic wise.

Just finished a e-book on the history of Arlington. It's got me stoked to the point that it's my main goal for the trip, besides filling the storage bays with Yuengling for the trip home.  :43:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:42:58 am »
Of course my know-it-all 10 year remembered the name of the place we ate after Ford's Theater.  Lincoln's Pancake House.  And, he recommends the sloppy joe.

The Holocaust Memorial Museum is worth a stop too.  We missed it this trip but I saw it years ago and remember it was a very powerful tour.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 02:51:48 am »
Dennis be nice & thankful for that little know-it-all son of your... Remember he's going to pick your nursing home :tt2:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 03:24:37 am »
Oh please Jo.  You know as well as I do that I will kill myself doing something stupid long before then.  :tt2:

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »
Oh please Jo.  You know as well as I do that I will kill myself doing something stupid long before then.  :tt2:

He's got a point Jo...
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:53:59 am »
Kenz, if you find yourself with several hrs to spend, Gettysburg is only 1.5 hrs due north, Brandywine Battlefield from the Revolutionary War is about the same distance and Valley Forge isn't far beyond that.  Kilch is just north of Baltimore and I'm right on the MD/DE/PA lines.  Though sad to say, I haven't been to DC since elementary school lol.  Though I do have a connection at the Eisenhower Estate in Gettysburg if you'd like an in-depth tour.  When you get the dates sorted, let me know and I'll try to free up a day.
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc