270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Wheel/Brake assembelies  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Wheel/Brake assembelies
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:19 am »
Have a wheel that is dragging pretty bad. Feels/sounds like the drum is rubbing against the brake shoes. Will need to pull the drum to investigate further. 5er is 5 years old, so was thinking of just going ahead and buying the whole electric brake assemblies. Looks like it includes the brakes, new magnets, etc. Sounds like all you do is unbolt the whole assembely from the axle and bolt the new assembly on??? Anyone done this?
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: Wheel/Brake assembelies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:09:08 am »
I bought 2 wheel assemblies from E-Trailer for the old Carrilite.  Cut the wires, pull the wheel, brake drum, remove castle nut, either 4-6 bolts on the backing plate and its off. 
Make sure it's not a bearing going,  we replace a NeverLube bearing unit on one of the wheel assemblies on the newer Carrilite
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:13:49 am by Jims1dodge »
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:46:47 pm »
I bought 2 wheel assemblies from E-Trailer for the old Carrilite.  Cut the wires, pull the wheel, brake drum, remove castle nut, either 4-6 bolts on the backing plate and its off. 
Make sure it's not a bearing going,  we replace a NeverLube bearing unit on one of the wheel assemblies on the newer Carrilite

Thanks Jim...

You remember cost? Was doing some research last night. Was seeing around $60.00 for wheel?

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »
Your drums are most likely inboard so you will be pulling the bearings down for inspection anyway. The loaded backing plates are definitely the way to go, as said 4-6 bolts/nuts and clip the wires.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:37:56 pm »
Took off one of the drums Saturday and found several things...The brake shoes were ok, the bearings were almost dry and the D washer was warped in the center. I am assuming the people who worked on it last must have really tightened it down. They were suppose to have re-packed the bearings, but does not look like they did a very good job.

Several years back had the dealer look at the brakes. The Tech says that the magnet(s) was not working as well as they should on one or more of the wheels. They met minimum requirements, but would soon need replacing. I have had to crank up my brake controller to the max to get ok braking from the 5er. So, I am assuming they were right.

Even though the brakes were ok, decided to go ahead and replace all four wheel assemblies. To replace the magnets and for piece of mind if anything else. Have to re-pack all the bearings anyway, so figured it is a good time to do it. RV is 5 years old...should be good for another 5.

Assemblies were $55 a piece with free shipping from etrailer.com. Should be here Wed or Thurs. I know what I will be doing this weekend.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 02:17:31 am »
When I did the brakes on the last fiver it was $50 for a complete backing plate. Tear off the old one and install the new one. Easy as pie. It was actually a lot more expensive buying the individual parts than the whole assembly. The Hub/Drum was a little more pricey, at $160 a piece if I remember right. Mine had even wear so I just cleaned them up and reused them. Check the bearings real good, and replace any that look like they may have gotten to hot. Better to replace a suspect bearing now than on the side of the road somewhere.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 02:53:27 am »
Yep...been getting everything ready. Went to Wally world last night and picked up some grease for the gun, brake cleaner, dug out my bearing packer. Stop on the way home tomorrow and pick up some new seals. Should be ready for Saturday...sunny and in the mid 60's

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 04:23:01 am »
Yep...been getting everything ready. Went to Wally world last night and picked up some grease for the gun, brake cleaner, dug out my bearing packer. Stop on the way home tomorrow and pick up some new seals. Should be ready for Saturday...sunny and in the mid 60's

HA, yeah Im waiting for Sat to finish my valve lash and drain the cooling system. Its supposed to be a balmy 57...  :eek:
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 02:10:57 am »
Just replaced the 7-way plug receptacle on the truck.... It's tough working in this 80* and sunny weather if south Texas....  :whistling:
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 03:31:27 pm »
Got 3 of the wheels done yesterday. Ran out of grease. Over this AM to finish the last one.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 05:46:09 pm »
So's it done yet?  :whistling:
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:03 pm »
All done  :up:

All the wheels turn freely now. New brakes and magnets.

Now on to the next problem. Found out my emergency disconnect switch is not working.  :banging: Either a bad switch or lost 12v to the switch.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc