270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2015 Caravan Transmission Noise  (Read 4448 times)

Offline daveandpatty

• Awards:
2015 Caravan Transmission Noise
« on: June 27, 2015, 04:37:24 am »
2015 Dodge Caravan with less than 500mi now and transmission making whinning noise still. Dealer replaced planetary gear set,  compounder and several bearings at 100miles, seemed to fix problem. Drove for another 200 miles and noise returned. Dealer claims noise is typical of this trans. 62TE and refused to do any more to resolve. I seriously doubt this. Noise is intermittant now and occures in all gears, it seems to stop at around 40mph. I doubt that this is typical for this trans. Any help from the forum?

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
Re: 2015 Caravan Transmission Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:36:02 am »
Keep going  back to the dealer, go test drive some other ones and see if the noise is there... if not, stay on the dealer, you may have an issue or a lemon, it happens with everyone. 

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline daveandpatty

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »
I've returned vehicle two times now for the same noise coming from the trans. Spoke to tech. who worked on trans. the first time and he was not sure what was causing noise. They obviousely thought it was something inside; because they replaced the planetary gear assembly, sun gear and several bearings and races and found some metal grinds in the filter. They now take the position from the second return, that this noise is typical for this trans. ?????? I'm going to return to dealer(3rd time) because the noise has returned. I've driven others before and after purchasing this vehicle and the noise is not present. I've also filed a complaint with the Dodge Resolution Team; but they seem reluctant to take action. Do I have any recourse with the dealer or Chrysler Corp.? Any advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:38 am »
NExt step would be your state's lemon laws.  Each state has it's own particularities, but if you return something for the same service 3 times (usually) there's a state law that comes into effect.  You will need to either research on your own or contact assistance, such as the BBB or similar.  Do Not Trust the "ambulance chaser" type lawyers.

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:10:33 am »
Interesting, I've got a 2012 with 39xxx and the only time I hear any tranny noise is when I'm in the throttle at high RPM's which is the typical part of just about any trans. Other than that pretty quiet which is the norm. 

Is is only the second issue I've heard from the 62TE. The other was a friend who has a charger with the same engine trans (for the most part other than the charger is RWD) and his trans sceized up around 7500 miles. New trans didn't fix the problem, was found there was a manufacturing defect with the frame that somehow was tweaking the trans. Car was lemon law on the spot and they got a new car no questions.

There may be an issue with the case of the trans itself which replacing internals won't fix the issue.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline daveandpatty

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:50 am »
Just what I suspect. I had a Chevy LUV mini pickup that had what I thought was a bad casting and would burn bearings and thrust washers in no time. It made a similar sound but with a loud clicking noise. Dealer finally replaced tranny; but noise soon reappeared with it. They took the same stand that it was a typical sound for that trans. I gave up and sold the truck. Thanks for the info.

Offline daveandpatty

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:25:11 pm »
Hello folks, I was at the point of returning my Caravan with the tranny noise for the third time, when it just stopped. I've tried many times since to get it to reappear; but with no success. I consulted with a trans tech at another shop/dealer and he feels that it probably was a wearing in noise and the problem corrected itself. Have 2k miles now and no more noise..........crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. I also want to thank the Forum for your advise and answers to my concern. Thank you again and wish me luck.http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/Smileys/default/cheers.gif

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:52:04 am »
Hello folks, I was at the point of returning my Caravan with the tranny noise for the third time, when it just stopped. I've tried many times since to get it to reappear; but with no success. I consulted with a trans tech at another shop/dealer and he feels that it probably was a wearing in noise and the problem corrected itself. Have 2k miles now and no more noise..........crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. I also want to thank the Forum for your advise and answers to my concern. Thank you again and wish me luck.  :cheers:

Wow! Great to hear! 

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc