270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: About ready to dump this truck....  (Read 1888 times)

Offline inetmug

• Awards:
About ready to dump this truck....
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »
Hi all, new to this forum...

I have a 2012 6.7 2500 4WD with ~36K miles. I love the truck overall... but....

Over the last 3 years this truck has gone to the dealer for the same thing about 20 times. It is always an O2 sensor. They are replacing the O2 Sensor module yet again (backordered). They replaced wiring harness, etc. They cleaned a very badly sooted EGR valve at 20k miles.

Their tech says it is the catalytic converted causing the problems. My take is they are not looking at the root cause, and are stuck going in circles changing out the same parts over and over. I have had no success getting this elevated from a factory tech perspective. Basically, this tying continues to foul O2 sensors. It also seems the oil change light comes on way to early. I do admit to mostly city driving with my loads, but thats the way it goes. This model has the regen canister, not the DEF.

Chrysler has now given me the max care out to 8 years to smooth things over. I appreciate it, but its not solving the core problem. I could have lemon lawed this in FL easy, but stuck with it thinking we would get it straight. Now talking to them about trade-assist and dumping it for a 2015 2500 gasser Hemi. No where near the 6.7 in power, but my take is emissions is driving all the manufacturers crazy.

Any ideas?

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
Re: About ready to dump this truck....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »
I'd be talking about a straight upgrade to a newer diesel truck at no change in cost to you.  if they don't, tell them that you'll lemon it and deal with corporate. 

this is assuming you don't have any programmer or similar on the truck, if you do, you need to go and ensure that your program us up to date and not ignoring the EGR cycle. 

Depending on your use, you could also go the route of an EGR delete...

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline inetmug

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:14 pm »
No mods whatsoever on my part, all stock. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty, everything under oil. This is why I jumped.

Not even sure I would want a diesel anymore. I really did not want DEF. I hear so much crap about them these days, cummins, duramax, etc. I think the emissions has them all messed up. While I will suffer on fuel with the gasser, maybe I could live with it.

I hear the 2015 newly designed ford motor is pretty strong at 840FT/# and 440HP.

Lemon law is FL is 2 years. So I am out of that window. However, there is an attorney that enforces what is known as the Federal Warrenty Act, which he says is not tied to any state lemon law, no recovery no fee. Even with Lemon law, you get charged for the usage of the vehicle at the end of the day. Unless maybe you lemon it in the first month or whatever. The law also gives the manufacturers and dealers time to fix things, etc. It is not an easy road.

What I am really looking for is a way to make Chrysler take the necessary steps to fix the problem versus just going in circles replacing the parts that show symptoms. The tech has said for two years its the catalytic converter, but chrysler will not replace it. My take, replace the exhaust, replace the engine, do whatever, just fix it!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:50:05 pm by inetmug »

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:46:18 am »
You honestly might want to consider a newer diesel. DEF actually causes you to have fewer EGR issues and is easier on the particulate filter and Cat. Since they can worry about emissions after fuel is combusted they can tune the engines differently than when you have to worry about regen cycles, egr , etc. The new 6,7's are coming stock at 900 lb-ft torque.
Depending on how much you tow, I dont think you'll be happy with a gasser.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline inetmug

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
I bought the truck to tow a 8000-10K boat depending on load, plus 4 guys, plus 8-12 dive tanks and gear, dressed out probably 12K average day.

Well, I guess I could be persuaded to go to a 900ft/#, but they would have to persuade me no more problems. We shall see if their trade assist is worth anything.

Based on no real feedback, it seems this is a lone problem? Or are lots of pre-def models having the issues?

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:39:46 am »
DEF is a none issue. My '14 uses about $14 worth of DEF every 5-7K miles, and it averages 18.5 mpg. So far (32K miles) my only complaint has been a paint chip on the hood of the truck that was not caused by an impact, and Chrysler has refused to fix it. The truck runs flawlessly though.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc