270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: How much larger is a 3rd Gen quad cab vs a 2nd Gen?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline R0oster31

• Tech Certified
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorROTMTech Certified500HPAF
How much larger is a 3rd Gen quad cab vs a 2nd Gen?
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:50:42 am »
What's up folks? It's been a while since I've been on. I haven't had time to play with the trucks in a long time but I have started to get back into it. I love my 02s but Michelle and I just added a kiddo to the mix and Valerie's car seat doesn't really fit in the back seat. I'd like to find an 06 or 07 quad cab but wanted to see what you guys thought. I like having a long bed, want to be able to do efi live, and don't want to deal with the emissions stuff. Is it realistic to think that the newer style quad cab will work or do I have to rethink my wish list?

'06 2500 CTD Mega auto
'02 2500 CTD QCLB 6 speed
'02 2500 CTD QCLB auto

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: How much larger is a 3rd Gen quad cab vs a 2nd Gen?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:12:45 am »
Hey. Long time no see. A younun? Congrats.

You shouldn't have a problem with a carseat in a quad cab. EFI live will work great and no emissions make it almost no hassle. I added a bit of sound deadening to mine and it makes the cab quite a bit nicer.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline R0oster31

• Tech Certified
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:10:02 am »
Yea I had a 1 year remote in there so I've done a little lurking but no posting. I've been jealous of the ability to use efi live since it came out. I love my 02s though so it is hard to figure out which to part with. Michelle asked if I had considered getting rid of both... :eek: If I went that route I feel like I would have to jump right into tearing the 3rd gen apart and putting it back together as soon as I got it.

Looks like you've gotten your truck figured out.

'06 2500 CTD Mega auto
'02 2500 CTD QCLB auto

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:01 am »
It's about 2' longer in the cab overall?  you remember me, I can sit in the back seat... ok.  not super comfortable but if the seats aren't all the way back I can sit there for a while. 

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline R0oster31

• Tech Certified
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
Nice. Thanks for the info.

'06 2500 CTD Mega auto
'02 2500 CTD QCLB auto

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 02:41:19 am »
Yes car seats of all types fit well in the quad cabs.

Took the wife and kids on a camping trip late last year, all three seats fit in the back with room to spare.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »
What type of carseat?  If it's still rear facing, your either going to put it in the middle or someone will be hugging the dash.  Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem. 

Offline R0oster31

• Tech Certified
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 11:34:34 pm »
It is a rear facing car seat with a quick release base. I did some searching online and calling around and found one in Chicago that seemed like a decent deal. The truck isn't in perfect shape but it will definitely work for our purposes. It is an 06 Mega that would definitely fit the car seat. The engine and trans seem to be in good shape. It wouldn't slip or anything and the fluid on the trans didn't smell burnt or anything. The air filter and oil both needed changing. I got to know it a little on the drive from Chicago back to ID and didn't find any surprises. The two biggest things that were bothering me were the radio won't power up most of the time and the tach wasn't working. I got the tach working by taking the dash apart and pulling some screws out of the back of the instrument cluster. I'm going to clean all the grounds and see if the radio starts working again. Other things I saw are it could be an early sign of batteries starting to go bad. The radio has only worked 2 times and both of them were on a Saturday in the morning when it was cool and moist out. It is the Nav/radio combo and the power and volume buttons always work, the preset buttons always work, but the rest of the buttons/screen have only worked twice for about 5 minutes total.

'06 2500 CTD Mega auto
'02 2500 CTD QCLB auto

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:41:16 am »
 :pics:

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline R0oster31

• Tech Certified
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:45:57 am »
Ha ha I know.  The dealer I picked it up from hadn't really cleaned it.  I just got it back from the detailer so it is ready for pics now.

'06 2500 CTD Mega auto
'02 2500 CTD QCLB auto

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 04:15:02 am »
A little late, but I haven't checked in here since my 2nd daughter came into the world 13 months ago.

Good call on the Megacab. The quad cab is just a poor design all together. The engineers and developers didn't have families in mind when they designed it that's is for sure. A rear facing car seat will fit, but like previously stated, the passenger will be hugging the dash, as a rear facing seat behind the driver isn't possible, at least not possible for me. I'm in the process of trying to sell mine now for that reason . Going to pull the trigger on a 2016 crew cab longbed. Automatic this time, so my wife ca drive it.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc