270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2012 Charger ZF trans. Service Sticker Shock!  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
2012 Charger ZF trans. Service Sticker Shock!
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »
So, I have this wonderful 2012 Charger with the 3.6L and 8-speed ZF transmission. This car is great, holds the family and luggage with no issue and gets over 30mpg on the highway. Has just over 80k miles on the clock, I really hate to wait over 100k before changing the trans filter and fluid (just what comes out with a drop of the pan not a whole flush). Turns out this ZF 8-speed is a bit special, the filter is built right into the pan (my cost ~$118) and the fluid is a special ZF fluid (not just good old AF+4, my cost ~$27/qt). Guessing this thing will drop about 5 of the 9 quarts it takes for a complete fill that means my cost on just the filter and fluid (throw in the $11 pan gasket) is going to be just about $250. Wow! glad I can do the work myself, paying labor on this thing as well would really hurt. Anyone working in service have any input on how much fluid I'll really need? I hate to buy too much more than I need, but buying too little is MUCH worse.

Just figured I'd get the word out there, and see if anyone else has had this kind of fun with the 8-speed trans. From what I gathered in 2013 or so they changed to a Chrysler licensed design instead of the one from ZF and it now has a seperate pan and filter like a normal trans and it uses ATF+4.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
Re: 2012 Charger ZF trans. Service Sticker Shock!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:01:25 pm »
Ok, sorry to reply to myself, but the plot just thickened. Apparently to check the fluid level on this ZF sourced transmission one has to have the vehicle in the air and start with the trans fluid at less than 30C. Start the engine and pull the fill plug (on the side of the trans, basically like a rear end fill hole) and if fluid doesn't seep out, fill it until fluid just seeps out. Replace the fill plug, go inside the car, turn the wheels in reverse, then in drive run it until it shifts into second, then slowly wind it down to a stop. Then go back under and pull the fill plug to see that fluid just seeps out. Correct fill is that fluid just seeps out with the car running and trans temp between 30 and 50C.

Yikes! Has anyone actually done that procedure with a car on jack stands? Sounds like I pretty much need a lift to service this transmission.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:46:29 am »
Maybe measure what comes out and put that same amount plus a small amount thats trapped in the filter back in.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:51:13 pm »
I don't really trust myself to measure accurately enough for that to work. I guess there is a bit of a good ending here. Turns out Chrysler has NO recommended maintenance schedule on this transmission. I am not really excited about that, but I am covered by their service contract for the next 3+ years with unlimited miles. So, if the trans decides to quit it is their baby. Apparently if I do service the trans they are more likely to deny coverage for un-authorized service than they would be for lack of service.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »
Yes. Leaving well enough alone is sometimes the best strategy. I couldn't even find an oil/fluid change interval for our Subarus' trans...
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc