270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: All in one tuner  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: All in one tuner
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 05:35:45 pm »
Ok. Cool. Thanks for the info. Any other advice?

Fix your "Photo not Found"  :whistling:
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 05:44:51 pm »
I have the Edge Evolution CTS2 in my '06 and really like it so far. The screen on it is killer and it has a ton of options. I mostly run it on the "Tow" setting since I tow on most weekends. Also with the new ones you can now adjust the torque management and timing like you can with a Smarty. Another benefit of the monitor instead of gauges is that you can check and clear codes with it.

:cheers:

Hey ERT, You use any other tuner to compare with your Evolution now?

Offline TowboatTODD

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:24 am »
Thanks yall!! I appreciate the info.
If anyone has something to add please do. I am still a little while away from dropping the cash, but I might just get a wild hair one day. Lol

'07 2500 5.9 Silver Megacab 2wd, 6 spd Manual, MBRP stack kit, Banks Ram Air w/ Scoop

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 02:38:38 pm »
H&S tuners was popular for awhile also. Especially for 6.7 and EGT deletes. Then EPA got hold of them...not sure what their status is now or how good their products are.

Have you looked into EFI Live. What a lot of us are running now. It is a download program, but still has shift on the fly capabilities. I have 5 different tunes I can run, change tunes by turning a 5 position knob.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:41:39 pm by Smitty »

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 02:52:33 pm »
H&S tuners was popular for awhile also. Especially for 6.7 and EGT deletes. Then EPA got hold of them...not sure what their status is now or how good their products are.

Have you looked into EFI Live. What a lot of us are running now. It is a download program, but still has shift on the fly capabilities. I have 5 different tunes I can run, change tunes by turning a 5 position knob.

Ive been meaning to look into the 5 pos switch deal. I really need to detune my truck even more for city driving but have not gotten around to it yet. Anything I need to know? Any articles I can look at to get up to speed ?
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline TowboatTODD

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 04:18:57 am »
 I'm more interested in being able to run a fuel economy and towing mode more than anything right now. I think my next step is going to be intercooler and then turbo. Unless something gives out first then I'll just upgrade whatever goes out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:45:31 am by TowboatTODD »

'07 2500 5.9 Silver Megacab 2wd, 6 spd Manual, MBRP stack kit, Banks Ram Air w/ Scoop

Offline TowboatTODD

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 06:47:41 am »
Ok. Cool. Thanks for the info. Any other advice?

Fix your "Photo not Found"  :whistling:

I'll look into that and try to get a decent pic of her soon. Lol

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »

Ive been meaning to look into the 5 pos switch deal. I really need to detune my truck even more for city driving but have not gotten around to it yet. Anything I need to know? Any articles I can look at to get up to speed ?

Noplugs...

As far as I know there is nothing special about using the 5 pos switch. I have had it several years now, with CSP tunes from two different tuners and everything still working ok.

Not sure about any articles. I can give you the email of the last tuner I used. He should be able to answer all your questions about CSP/5 pos switch use.

Since my truck is basically stock, the 5 tunes I have are: stock, 12V (single injection, 75hp), street/towing (40-50hp), Hot (75hp), Race (100hp). I have found over time though, that I only use 2 of the tunes; 12V and street/towing.

The 12V tune is noisy (sounds like an old 12V), but EGT's are around 100* lower and see 1-2 mpg gain. I use this tune 90% of the time, especially when towing.

Offline noplugs

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 03:09:38 pm »
Well I broke down and downloaded the latest EFI live software to review and read up about it this weekend I also found thew switch for 75. Looks like I'll get to easily create a daily driver tune and keep my "play" tune in reserve.
It reads fairly simple but ill go tinker now  ;D

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 04:03:20 pm »
Cool...

You do your own tunes?

My truck is not a daily driver...maybe driven once a month or when towing. It was hard to get mpg/egt/etc figures because of it before I went to EFI. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth the extra cost over a Smarty or something along that line. I had a Smarty Jr. 

I assume you used to use a Smarty or something comparative before you went to EFI Live. Have you noticed a big/minimal difference going to EFI? I know you can do a lot more tuning with it, but on a mostly stock truck...really worth it?

I do admit I see a big difference when using the 12V tune, but not sure of the other tunes though.

Offline noplugs

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »
Cool...

You do your own tunes?

My truck is not a daily driver...maybe driven once a month or when towing. It was hard to get mpg/egt/etc figures because of it before I went to EFI. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth the extra cost over a Smarty or something along that line. I had a Smarty Jr. 

I assume you used to use a Smarty or something comparative before you went to EFI Live. Have you noticed a big/minimal difference going to EFI? I know you can do a lot more tuning with it, but on a mostly stock truck...really worth it?

I do admit I see a big difference when using the 12V tune, but not sure of the other tunes though.

Well Rich helped me tune it originally and Ive taken it from there. Since the truck is WAY not stock it needed a custom tune. I had to detune the low /medium range a lot to make it a good daily driver but with the 5 tune selector ill be able to optimize it a good bit more for DD and Kill.

I used to have a Smarty and it was good before i modified the truck so much. EFI made it a lot more driveable for day to day.
My mileage is ~14-16 city. its a little bit better with the locking hubs but haven't quite gotten a good feel for it.

Offline TowboatTODD

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 11:38:31 am »
So I've been doing a little looking around and I'm finding where the stock turbo is capable of more than what I was under the impression that it could.
After a programmer with gauges which direction should i go. I'm kinda thinking a clutch upgrade or maybe injectors, but stay mild.

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34:32 pm »
So I've been doing a little looking around and I'm finding where the stock turbo is capable of more than what I was under the impression that it could.
After a programmer with gauges which direction should i go. I'm kinda thinking a clutch upgrade or maybe injectors, but stay mild.

Your transmission is your weakest link. That should be near the top to get done.

The stock fuel system is only good for so many hp also. If you are planning over 450hp you may want to look into a aftermarket set up...FASS or something like that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:46:34 pm by Smitty »

Offline noplugs

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 03:01:09 pm »
I have an Airdog, Stock CP3 and slightly larger injector nozzles and I can push 650 hp.

With a stock turbo you will be most limited but you can get a decent usable increase in power. I second the clutch upgrades.

If you do nozzles I wouldn't recommend anything over a 50hp for the stock turbo. I have 90s and its hard to get the tuning right for good daily  driveability. even if you do 50s you'll still get good power if you upgrade the turbo.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »
I have the Edge Evolution CTS2 in my '06 and really like it so far. The screen on it is killer and it has a ton of options. I mostly run it on the "Tow" setting since I tow on most weekends. Also with the new ones you can now adjust the torque management and timing like you can with a Smarty. Another benefit of the monitor instead of gauges is that you can check and clear codes with it.

Hey ERT, You use any other tuner to compare with your Evolution now?

Not in this truck yet. I've driven plenty of customers trucks with different tuners though. It really depends on the truck, they all respond differently to tuning. I would love to compare a Smarty to what I have now or EFI live.

To the OP. A FASS and South Bend clutch should be at the top of the list for sure! The stock lift pump in these trucks are mostly garbage and if that clutch is stock you can almost guarantee that it will start slipping with added power.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc