270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Finally happened  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Finally happened
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:20:57 pm »
Been Rv'ing for over 10 years and never had a flat tire...until Saturday. Coming home from a week long trip and noticed smoke coming from driver side of the RV. Noticed it just in time...tire was just about to start coming a part, but luckily no damage to the rim or RV. Had to wait about an hour for road side assistance to get there and we were back on the road. Tires are about 6 years old, so looks like time for new ones. :$:
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Finally happened
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »
Good catch! Glad all is well. That can be a messy one.  I just had to put new tires on the Dak; they were 6 years old also & while there was plenty of tread I didn't like the way they were looking (or the way they slide in the wet when I was driving mad).  It was really obvious they were toast once the new ones were on; I'd gotten so accustomed to the pull as the broke down I didn't even notice it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:47:13 pm by lilfroger »
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »
Good catch! Glad all is well. That can be a messy one.  I just had to put new tires on the Dak; they were 6 years old also & while there was plenty of tread I didn't like the way they were looking (or the way they slide in the wet when I was driving mad).  It was really obvious they were toast once the new ones were on; I'd gotten so accustomed to the pull as the broke down I didn't even notice it.

Driving Mad?
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:32 pm »
Yes driving mad. I do not deny for one happy moment that when I'm Pissed Off my right foot is much heavier & there is no gentle pressure applied on the long skinny pedal.  When I'm pissed it goes from 0 to mashed. :tt2:   In situations like that a tires ability to maintain grip is tested.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline noplugs

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »
Ahh I see, I just use my truck as a form of intimidation..... sort of like running into " The mountain" would be a holy crap moment....

:derailed:

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 12:51:55 am »
I need to get new tires for the trailer... and the M38, it's two trailers, and the M880...  :eek:  In fact, I think the only thing that's good on tires right now is the 06 Ram and the Pioneer Tool Trailer... crap, just cursed myself...

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:07:03 am »
Smitty- good time to check some wheel bearings on the that trailer.  Glad nothing went "Poof" on ya!
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 03:50:37 pm »
Smitty- good time to check some wheel bearings on the that trailer.  Glad nothing went "Poof" on ya!

Already taken are of...

But on new brakes, bearings and hubs earlier this year.

Thanks,

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 11:06:07 pm »
A few days after getting home went and bought a new tire to replace the bad one.

Chapter two....

Was heading up to St. George Island State park for a week of camping. About 3/4 of the way there stopped for a potty break and noticed one of the tires was really low. Was down to 25 psi from the normal 65... :taz:
Pressure was good before we left.

There just happened to be a tire store right next door to where we stopped. Pulled the 5er to there and they pulled tire to check for a leak. Tread was pulling apart form the belts, allowing air to leak out...no fixing this one :censored:
He offered to put the spare on, but mentioned he had new ones in stock. So, 30 mins later was driving off with a new tire.  :$:

Two trips, 2 new tires. Will be getting the other 2 replaced before the next trip.  :up:

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:46:05 am »
I believe in running the LT tires on heavy trailers.  All the ST tires I've had either blew without warning or had tread separation.  Didn't matter the brand either.
This 5'er has Goodyear G114 on it.  Next one will have 17.5 rims and G614 Goodyears.
They are more expensive but you do enough damage with the China pops to make up for it.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 03:01:36 am »
Have/Had Goodyear on mine. I assume they were the ST's...6 ply, D rating. The new ones are 10 ply, E Rating...I assume LT's. We are in the process of looking for a new RV, so was holding off getting new ones. But, don't want to push my luck. Heading out on another trip in a few weeks, so will have new ones by then. Or a new RV  :$:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:05 pm »
Lucky dog! Popped mine on the way up north on 4th of July weekend. Fastest tire change ever! Went to DC in June and all was well, tires looked good. One month later not 30 miles down the road one just let go. Ripped the fender plastic off and the bracing. Bought a spare LT for the ride home, then put on 4 brand new TransForce HT's. The good thing about getting tagged on the way back from SC is that the guy hit right where the damage from the blowout was. Now all will be fixed!

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
RV rims in the shop today to get 2 new ones. Do believe the name on these are Hercules. My mechanic, who is part of our RV camping group highly recommended them.

Sorry about the accident. Did not sound to serious?

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:23 pm »
Picked up the new tires yesterday. Which leads me to a question...on the old ST (6 ply, D rating) tires the sticker on the RV says to inflate to 65 psi, which was the maximum pressure for those tires. On the new tires (10 ply, E rating), the maximum pressure for those tires are 80 psi. Should I be running those at 80, or something less? Guy I bought them from thinks they should be less than 80...unless I have the maximum weight on them. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:39:06 pm by Smitty »

Offline noplugs

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »
Thats a good question. I dont normally run my truck tires at full pressure. probably 10-15 less in the back.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc