270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Brake bleeding problem 2003 Diesel Dually  (Read 1525 times)

Offline ethov8

• Awards:
Brake bleeding problem 2003 Diesel Dually
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:01:36 pm »
Hi
I recently changed all of the calipers on my 2003 Dually Diesel. There were no brake issues before that other than a rear caliper with pistons that were not fully returning. I have bled the system several times since and still have a spongy pedal. Maybe I should have bled each caliper as I replaced them but I didnt, only bleeding all 4 together when they were all replaced. The first time I bled using a helper on the pedal, and several times after by pressurizing the brake reservoir and discharging fluid through each bleed nipple one after the other at the calipers. Does anybody have any ideas as to what to try next. My concerns are that air has found its way into the abs module, although I have not allowed the brake reservoir level to run low. Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation Marcus (living in the UK)

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
Re: Brake bleeding problem 2003 Diesel Dually
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:24:00 pm »
Just to verify, you started bleeding the caliper that is the farthest away from the brake master cylinder first, then worked your way closer.

Also, when you compressed the pistons did you open the bleeding port at that caliper?

You could still have some air somewhere in the lines, or one of the flex hoses may be swelling a bit as the truck in 13 years old.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline ethov8

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:49 pm »
Hi
The piston were fully in since they were new calipers, the flexibles seem ok too. I have since bled them again and the brakes seem ok. Everything seems to lock up on braking now. I did bleed farthest to closest as well. Thanks for your input anyway.
Cheers mark

Offline CARiD

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:45:43 pm »
I believe it may be the air somewhere in the system. You might want to look at this tech article on how to bleed brakes, it may give you some thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:51:27 pm by CARiD »

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc