270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: AR style rifles  (Read 1506 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
AR style rifles
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »
Got the itch for another firearm. Local guy has DPMS rifles advertised on his sign for $599. Sounds pretty cheap price to me. I'm sure its a very basic model, will have to check it out. Heard DPMS was a good rifle, but don't know of anyone that has one or any experience with one. Anyone tell me about DPMS?

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: AR style rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:15 pm »
No experience with one either...just heard they were good.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:15 am »
Used to have a DPMS, enjoyed it. 

check their websites for models.  sometimes the low end ones are just lacking a few options or possibilities of options.

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:07:08 am »
Ken, I have 3 DPMS AR's, chambered in .223, .308 and .338 Federal.
I've actually successfully hunted with the .338 numerous times, harvesting deer and hogs. At the price you mentioned, it's probably a bare bones model, mine were built with various upgrades such as heavy barrel and trigger groups. Check with R&R Arms, that's where I ordered these 3, shipped to a local FFL dealer for transfer.

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »
Will check that out Walt, thanks. Actually typed the price wrong, its $559 and that's for the .223. Attended a boat and fishing show last weekend and there was a gun dealer there and he had DPMS in .308 for $800. Never shot one of these style rifles so was pleasantly surprised at the weight (lighter than I anticipated) and just seemed to aim at what I was looking at, kind of like a nice upland bird gun....if that makes any sense.

I know as accessories go, one can get a little crazy, so accessory shopping might be more fun than the gun purchase.  :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
Ken, just like oir trucks, AR style rifles are a slippery slope when it comes to what can be done to them.

Point of note with DPMS 308's. If you do plan on doing any mods check to see which generation you have. The Gen 1's have a slightly taller rail on the upper receiver than the Gen 2's.

Mine is a Gen 1, took me some time to find the front rail i wanted as everyone is dumping the Gen 1's for the Gen 2's. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the Gen 1's.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc