270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Flywheel help  (Read 1432 times)

Offline doughboy

• Awards:
Flywheel help
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:54 am »
Hey guys,
I got a 95 ram with a 3.9l 5speed.  Had the truck for about 2 years now and I wanna try to fix it up a little, cauz its going to be my sons truck when he turns 16.  It needs some work but the first and most important is the tranny.  It is getting hard to get into gear sometimes, and most likely it has the original clutch and flywheel.  I am going to replace them as quick as I can.  I have no problems finding a clutch set, but I have called every parts store around me, as well as the dodge dealership here, and have been told that I cannot get a new flywheel.  I am hoping that I can have mine resurfaced, but I bet I can't being on there over 20 years now.  it has about 204k on the clock.   I do not want to tear into my truck until I know I can find another flywheel if that is what is needed.  I have been told that a flywheel from a 3.9l Dakota will not work either, cauz that is what I was hoping.  Any help appreciated.

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
Re: Flywheel help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:58:31 pm »
Not seeing any, but usually you can get one good turning on a flywheel with a stone surfacer, especially since this is before the ceramic and Kevlar clutches (those can really tear a flywheel up). They may not be able to completely get all the heat spots or heat cracks out, but it would be better than nothing.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline doughboy

• Awards:
Re: Flywheel help
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:51:04 pm »
Thanks man.  I'm going to be doing a whole lot of work in the next few weeks.  hoping the clutch can hold out a little longer.

In a few weeks I'll be doing the ball joints, shock absorbers, front brakes, water pump, fan clutch.  hopefully all in one day.  That's going to be a busy weekend for me.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc