270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Tow/haul with Ram 3500 diesel  (Read 1542 times)

Offline supe

• Awards:
Tow/haul with Ram 3500 diesel
« on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:39 pm »
 :banging: I've just returned from the Oregon coast from my first trip with my new (to me) 2011 Ram 3500 diesel. I'm also fairly new to hauling a 5th wheel trailer so everything that happens when I hit the haul/tow and J brake both going up and also down hills makes me wonder if I'm doing it right.  The diesel is a lot better than the equivalent gas powered Ram that I traded in for the diesel but I can't control the shifting when I'm in the haul/tow mode. It's a wonderful thing going up the hills but if the hill is steep, when I start going down, the transmission shifts down once (good thing) but then it shifts down a second time unless I touch the gas pedal, which really increases the RPMs (upwards to 2500 and above) and slows the truck much more than is necessary. I have tried slowing down as I crest the hill, holding the transmission down a gear with the +- on the shift lever and feathering the gas pedal but can't seem to find the secret. I'm worried that I'll hurt the truck with the high RPM's that develop, and also I don't like to unnecessarily hold up traffic. Any wisdom from some of you veterans would be most appreciated.
Supe

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
Re: Tow/haul with Ram 3500 diesel
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:48:22 am »
Just take it out of tow/haul going down the hill and use the manual control on the shifter with the exhaust brake on.

:cheers:

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
Welcome to the forum...

On my 07(no exhaust brake)...I use the cruise control to control the speed. It will downshift and do pretty good at holding the speed.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:02:27 pm »
"and also I don't like to unnecessarily hold up traffic" let go of that ... while you're on a Hill...with a Trailer ... traffic can go around.  The safety of your family & equipment means you get to do what ever you feel comfortable with on that hill.  Take their honks, displays of the bird, and dirty looks as a badge of honor! 

As for not breaking the transmissions....Ert's answer :)

Most importantly...
 :pics:

Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc