270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Stalling When Engine First Started  (Read 1620 times)

Offline ek02

• Awards:
Stalling When Engine First Started
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
My 1997 Ram 1500 with the 318 V8 will not idle when first started. If the RPM's are held high for a minute or so, it will run and idle fine. Possible IAC problem? The service engine light is not on, but I have not checked for codes yet.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Stalling When Engine First Started
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:13 pm »
I don't even remember which year the 318 1500 was anymore... But it did similar and the RPMs would flutter while running. Premium Plate was (as is typical with the 318) warped.

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9504.0
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline ek02

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 05:57:23 pm »
Thanks for the info and the link. Seems like a leaking plate would make it run bad hot too. It idles perfect after a few minutes. The low fuel light is on now. It should still have 5 gallons left. According to the shop manual, if fuel level is down to 15% of capacity, the PCM will not allow codes to be set. I am putting some fuel in it and then see what happens. The shop manual tells what the PCM looks for cold so I need to look at all the sensors with my scan tool.

Offline ek02

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »
I put 5 gallons of gas in it from a can so it would have a cold engine. It started right up and ran fine. I need to check fuel pressure next. I have had the low fuel light come on many times without a problem. I drove it 6 miles last night after it warmed up after just having had the cold stalling problem.

Offline ek02

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »
I finally fixed this problem. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced a corroded IAC valve. Better, but still not right. I was unable to check fuel pressure because the 318 does not have a shrader valve on the fuel rail. It takes a special adapter hose to connect the gauge. I replaced the fuel pump as it seemed to draining fuel back to the tank and have a long crank time cold. The new pump was intermittent, so out it came for return and another one went in. Truck ran perfect until the temperature here dropped into the 50's. No start, no spark or injectors. Then it would start after a while. I had a test light hooked up to the fuel pump power feed and the ASD relay would not cut power after a few seconds one morning. I got the idea to use a heat gun to warm the PCM, and it started. I chilled the PCM with liquid Freon and again, no start. Warmed it up and it started. I did this four times to verify the PCM was bad. Got a remanufactured  PCM and the problem is solved. It runs like new.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:23:01 pm »
Glad you got to the bottom of it...sucks it was the bigger of all possible issues.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline sander54

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:52 am »
Had the same problem on my rig before. I replaced the 02 and cleaned the TB, and no more stalling issue since then.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc