270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: ecu issue?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
ecu issue?
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:56:11 am »
Hey...I have an issue with my '99 Cummins that I need advice on...When I try to start it I have to wait for the "wait to start" light to illuminate before it will start. I have noticed a small loss of power and lower fuel economy. My auto trans (new) occaisionally acts up and i think it may be tied to the electronics as well. I am also running an edge box and boost elbow. I have unhooked the box with no change to the way the truck starts or runs. I believe i may need an engine ecu but since the new trans is acting up, could my issue be with the other computor? I really dont want to throw parts at it since its a bit of expense to replace both. What do you guys suggest? TIA!

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: ecu issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 12:47:24 pm »
First place to start is to check/clean/tighten all your grounds. Bad grounds can play havoc on electronics.
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »
Been there..done that twice. Battery ground cables...ground at the firewall...ground at fenderwell...any others I am missing?

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:55:46 pm »
What the condition of the battery? Pop's '01 would hang on the wait to start - 1 of the batteries was on it's last leg.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »
Both batteries new about 2 years ago.  Interstate brand. I will load test them both just to be sure.

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 07:25:36 pm »
Both batteries tested out fine....

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:40:58 pm »
Where is a good source for purchasing an ECU other than the dealership?

Offline gotmud3

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »
I sent my ecu into a repair company and I got it back in about a week. I installed it and the truck fired up like it should (no waiting for the wait to start light) and I put about 5 miles on it testing it out. Everything was great until....I get home and shut it off. I try to restart and it just cranks away until a flash of the wait to start light and it starts but only runs for a few seconds before shutting back down. I will be hooking up my scan tool tonight to see if any codes are showing before I will be sending it back into the refab place to re-repair but first...anything on my end I should consider that may have caused this second failure? At least it ran before the repair...

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc