270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: New to me 5th wheel  (Read 1911 times)

Offline tommy3gun

• Awards:
New to me 5th wheel
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:06:00 am »
I bought a new to me camper  2007 Jayco designer 36rlts
 I'll have it home once financing is done  They want me to take it on Monday and then wait for Financing to be done
I don't understand that but What ever
I've got some things to do to my truck I have the hitch already was in when I brought my truck
Wiring when I installed the Fass 150 on the truck I cut the wires for the plug in the bed when I removed the bed.  I've never
used it thought I never would.  So I have to hook those wires back up.  Also the pins that hold the 5th wheel hitch to the
 mounts in the bed I do not have any.  I thought they was some sort of special pins they are nothing more then hitch pins
so I bought four of them that have a handle makes it easy to remove.   

But I do have a question  the cable for the break away brakes where do you hook that up? 

I paid $17985

http://www.camplandrv.com/clw_rvinventory/view.jsp?rvid=2083&rvstatus=&rvclass=4&rvbrand=&rvslide=&rvfloorplan=&rvweight=&pg_num=
Dodge makes it Cummins shakes it

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: New to me 5th wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:13 pm »
Congrats! My last RV was a 5er...2010 Jayco Eagle Super Light, 28.5 RLS. Really liked it. Had issues with leak(s) on the back wall and decided to get rid of it.

I hooked the breakaway cable to the release handle on the hitch. Could really hook it anywhere where it will pull the breakaway if the 5er came loose. But, not where it can get tangled/hook on something and accidentally pull the breakaway  :banging:
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »
Congrats! Nice unit. Very similar floorplan to The Coachmen Prospera I had, affectionatly referred to "old #3"  heehee. Really liked that floor plan. As smitty allutted to, leaks will wreak hovac on a travel trailer, so get yourself some dicor lap sealant from your local rv dealership and go up on the roof and reseal everything. Even if it looks good reseal anyway. A small pinhole can ruin a wall over time. The designers are very nice trailers, you will enjoy it.

As for the break away cable, I installed a long eyebolt thru one of the holes in the bed mount rail. Put a hook on the end of the cable and I can reach in and clip it on while i'm plugging in the electrical. Used to hook it to one of the hitch pins that hold the hitch head in, but being a dually I always had to crawl up on the tire to as I couldn't reach over the larger fender.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline tommy3gun

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:53:03 pm »
well I got it home its great.  I like pulling it with my truck  It just let me know the U joint in the rear is BAD  :banging:
bad vibration and I said to my wife I know what that is  U joint or a center support bearing  well its both
 Its time for a new drive shaft  U joints and bearing  for the 3rd time.   leaves me to make a post in the proper place
about my drive shaft
Dodge makes it Cummins shakes it

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc