270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: What I found was causing my electrical problems with my 3rd gen Caravan  (Read 1602 times)

Offline dodge bullets

• Awards:
What I learned about this generation of Caravan. A good meter and solder station is a must, because electrical connections are a big headache. The BCM doesn't like them and will make it appear as if the van has gremlins.

There are things to re-solder and there are things best left alone.

I recommend not going through the trouble to pull the BCM to check for connection problems. It is very unlikely you will fond any. This board is double sided and covered in a thin lacquer. Taking it out and putting it back will likely create more connection problems on the Junction Block than you started with.

Things to take apart and solder include the Instrument Cluster (of course if it hasn't already been done by now). It comes out very easy and primarily the contacts to the plug is where you will see the problems. While you have it out, check all the lamps for continuity and ensure the points where the lamps make contact to the circuit board hasn't destroyed the copper clad. Simply pull each lamp and check if you need to lay down a thin layer of solder to improve the contact area.

Also repair the solder connections to in the DRL/Blinker module. The cover can be convinced to pop off with a couple small flat blade screw drivers or something similar. You will need to flow new solder over the contacts from the plugs to the circuit board. These are usually hairline fractures and very hard to see, and by the time you get the cover off, you may have made a couple more crack.

Now to what I learned: The BCM must monitor some of the lamps in the Message Center (blinkers, Check Engine, park brake indicator, etc) right after you start the engine. If the lamp fails to light up during the lamp check then it could prompt the chime to beep for 5 minutes, it could cause the DRL not to operate, and there are likely other symptoms dependent upon which lamp fails to light up. Many times these lamps are not burned out, they just have faulty connections. So one day you start it up and you experience no errors, ad then turn it off and back on to see them back. Tapping on the dash just above the Message Center may make the failing lamp to light up enough to satisfy the BCM, as long as it is done within the first couple seconds after starting.

I found not only bad connection areas on the copper where the lamps connect, but also the input plug pins, where they make contact to the copper traces, also needed to be soldered. I repaired mine a couple days ago and it is wonderful to start it up and know you can enjoy the radio without the annoying warning beeping at you.
Here is a video showing the Message Center removal. You only need to watch the first 38 seconds of the video. Only a small pry tool needed, since you can leave the passenger upright cover in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQGyf7zvks

Now to put the speedometer indicator back on, since I tapped on the dash too hard one time and it popped off. The hard part is to align it so it matches the correct speed. Anyone know a way to do this correctly?

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc