270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Buddy's problem with Magnum  (Read 5910 times)

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
Buddy's problem with Magnum
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:40 pm »
After rebuilding my friend's quad in the driveway and finally scrubbing away the stain of gear oil, I was greeted with the "check oil" light in the car while driving to the grocery store next door, and a 18"x18" puddle of red transmission fluid in the driveway. From my 2007 5.7L Dodge Magnum. Which will be a year old next month and has 15,000 miles on it. Most of you are familiar with my battle under the lemon law with Carl Gregory Dodge and the Chrysler Corporation to take back my electrically bedeviled 2006 5.7L Magnum.

You know what? FUCK YOU, BIG-THREE. THIS IS THE LAST AMERICAN VEHICLE I EVER BUY! Aside from the obvious quality issues, I'm just not interested in supporting failing business models that produce over-priced vehicles and a crippling sense of entitlement in unionized workers.

Link

Dammit, I just scrubbed the other oil stain out of the driveway

Notice the ATF everywhere.

I think that fitting is to blame. Seems like there's more oil there.

I wiped it down and cleaned everything off. Nothing I can do right now, so before heading to the dealer tomorrow, I'll look in the morning to see where the oil collects.

Better yet, when I checked the owners manual, the transmission is designed not to be serviced regularly, so there's no dipstick to check fluid level. You have to take it into a dealer. If it wasn't under warranty, I'd probably try harder to check. Screw it--I'm taking it to the dealer first thing in the AM, and a loaner WILL be mine if it has to stay a while. No idea what this means for the planned drive to NY on Wednesday. If it conflicts, maybe we'll be driving a rental for that time.

He's down at Ft. Bragg, any recommendations?

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Buddy's problem with Magnum
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:55:24 am »
He had it out with Carl Gregory Dodge?.....

These are the same idiots that I had to take to the GA State Attorney General under Lemon Law proceedings when they F'd up my truck when I first bought it.

That's what happened to mine as well. Thee F'd the transmission up so many times I nearly drove the truck through their showroom window and left it there.

I still have all the documents and the people he needs to contact if need be.

If it's the Carl Gregory at Ft. Benning, I have all the info he needs and a good majoroty of it is transmission related, if he needs it.

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:40:40 am »
I circled what may be the problem.  The plastic piece that surrounds the wiring going into the trans is a known place for the trans to leak.  From the pan. this looks like a NAG trans.  We replace these plugs alot..

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:08:44 am »
Thanks David!

I posted it back to his blog with a link to here and to O'Neal Dodge.  Hopefully he'll either come here or let me know the results.  I really appreciate the picture.  that should help him out. 

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:11:35 am »
He had it out with Carl Gregory Dodge?.....

These are the same idiots that I had to take to the GA State Attorney General under Lemon Law proceedings when they F'd up my truck when I first bought it.

That's what happened to mine as well. Thee F'd the transmission up so many times I nearly drove the truck through their showroom window and left it there.

I still have all the documents and the people he needs to contact if need be.

If it's the Carl Gregory at Ft. Benning, I have all the info he needs and a good majoroty of it is transmission related, if he needs it.

Yeah, I'm 99.9% sure he picked it up at Benning.  Bought it through ENCS. 

He had a hell of a time with the first one, and this one has been ok so far.  He did have a Ram with a shiny metal bumper back into him a few months ago.  Must have been a diesel because he was on the horn when the truck was backing up but didn't stop until the impact. 

Offline Havoc1

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:47:41 am »
A no-maintenance transmission.  Good stuff there.  Is that designed so if the tranny fails, the owner gets blamed if he can't produce dealer service records? 

Thanks for looking at the pics.  I looked at the gasket just in case, but as you saw, the leak seems to be concentrated around that fitting.  I'll be calling up the local dealer (Crown Dodge:  http://dodgefayetteville.com/) when they open at 0730.  Actually, I might just be out there waiting for them.  Is there a specific name for that fitting?  Is it supposed to be wrapped in gooey, half-melted electrical tape? 

Yeah, not to walk in here whining like a punk, but if you knew the back story of my problems with Chrysler since NOV 06, you'd understand how this just drives me nuts.  I went through ENCS to purchase a 2006 5.7L Magnum when I came back from Korea in Oct 06.  I picked it up in Buffalo because that was near my parents places where I took leave on returning to the US.  Then I was stationed down at Benning.  Over the course of 5-6 failures that left us dead on the road, 5-6 visits to the dealer for service (and extended rental time), and roughly 9 months of haggling, I finally had it with that POS and called lemon law on it.  During the time leading up to that, the entire wiring harness was replaced.  So were 3 of the 4 computer modules (if these numbers/names are bungled, that's on me--it's been a year and there was always a different excuse).  The vehicle would still, without warning, trip all the error codes, turn on all the indicator lights, slow to 15mph or less, and eventually stall.  It happened 200 yards from the driveway once, it happened across town once.  I was afraid to take it out of town, and my wife was stranded on the side of the road with the three kids several times. 

Talk about an eye-opener.  Carl Gregory, who is very polite and nice (I met him in person several times because the case was so badly bungled) is still a tough-sell businessman, and his sales people (specifically Alan) are a bunch of dishonest pricks.  His dealership refused to take any part in it at first.  ISG, the mediation/reparations people that resolve this stuff for Chrysler, have no power whatsoever to force the dealer to do anything.  Chrysler wouldn't or couldn't do anything.  One man in the entire process had the power to make it all right, and he wouldn't go for it.  Thanks Carl. 

Chrysler had engineers come in from Detroit (or so they told me) to look at it.  Offers were made, then reneged upon.  They were going to buy it back at one point.  Then that couldn't be done because no one would cooperate.  Next came the trade-in, which made Carl Gregory some money, so the manager stopped acting like a jackass and put some effort into finding a vehicle for me.  I needed AWD.  No such animal in Georgia.  Seriously, the saga just went on and on.  I ended up taking a loss of about $2000 in the end, and driving away the 2007 Magnum.  On the one hand, I got a new car.  On the other, I left the process SERIOUSLY pissed off, and I was out $2000 that I would not have spent, new car or no. 

I'm leaving a lot out, but suffice it to say, they drug their feet so long, I didn't get it finished until literally 3-4 days before I left for Ranger school.  I was in a panic, because I didnt' want to stick my wife with dealing with that mess while I dropped off the face of the earth for 4 months.  Seriously, THE. MOST. GODAWFUL. CUSTOMER. EXPERIENCE. EVER.  And you're talking to a guy who went through the process of leaving the Air Force for the Army.  Who battled the INS/USCIS for 7 years to get his wife's immigration and citizenship complete.  Who fought the IRS from overseas when they erroneously filed tax returns on his behalf and billed him for over $40k in non-existent back taxes.  It's a testament to how much I like the car that I didn't just cash in, turn in my man-card, buy a damned Honda Odyssey, and accept that I'm beaten. 

PS.  I think they finally found the problem on that 2006 the last time through the garage.  There might have been a wire crimped behind the e-brake lever housing that was shorting and making everything go haywire.  I told them from the first visit that it sounded like a ground fault.  But what do I know?  I only studied electrical engineering at school... 

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:39:54 am »
...and there ya have it...

Havoc, I'll send ya the 911 information on Dave there (Parts/Service) so that if you have any questions, he'll be the guy to ask.

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:39 am »
A no-maintenance transmission.  Good stuff there.  Is that designed so if the tranny fails, the owner gets blamed if he can't produce dealer service records? 

yeah nissan is big into that, not place to fill er back up. but think service intervals are 100k

Just Imagine how many rep points I'd have if I didn't piss off so many people.

DF Member  "But I'm not going to get to pissed at you, might need to sick you on some ahole one day"

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:46:52 pm »
the piece you are referring to in the pic is not a fitting, it is a nut that holds the trans pan on.  The pan does not have holes in it for bolts to go through.  The piece in the pic is a nut that fits in a groove in the pan, a bolt goes through the nut to hold the pan on.  See the pics I attached.  One is the bottom of the trans and the other is the groove that the nut sits in to hold the pan on.  I still bet that they find the cup plug leaking, it is the tan/white plastic thing just above this bolt....The last pic shows the trans cup plug...

Sorry to hear all the trouble with the lemon.   

Offline Havoc1

• Awards:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:30 pm »
Just back from the dealer.  As expected, the cup plug was the culprit.  As I BS'd with the mechanic, he told me it wasn't an uncommon problem.  $5 for the part and $5 for the labor, both billed against warranty. 

After noticing unusual wear on the outside of the front passenger tire, I had them cross-rotate the tires and check the alignment, which was off.  Again.  Damned thing still feels like it's pulling to the right, but the mechanic said the machine indicated true.  Maybe it's the tires, because it happens even on non-cambered roads?  I'm hearing more and more that the Continental run-flats don't last too well, and I seem to remember some sort of class action deal in regards to that.  Mine seem to be OK, but I doubt they'll get 40k as advertised. 

Hopefully, other than an oil change when we get back from this road-trip, this will be the last of the maintenance for a while. 

PS.  Crown Dodge in Fayetteville told me to drop it off and they might be able to get it back to me in a couple days if I dropped it off this morning.  Screw them.  US-1 Dodge up in Sanford had it in the garage before I drove out of the parking lot in my truck.  Guess I know where to take the car for any further dealer service. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:41:12 pm by Havoc1 »

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »
Glad to see it was a simple fix like I suspected..The Conti-trac tires were part of some lawsuit.  My bookkeeper got $540.00 in a settlement for her tires...In regards to the dealer that said  :quote: drop it off and they might be able to get it back to me in a couple days if I dropped it off this morning.  :quote: If they didn't have a good idea of what was leaking out of a NAG trans, they either don't work on many or are inept.   As you saw first hand, this was a quick fix and that dealer that wanted you to leave it for a few days has no clue about customer service..  I know they may have been busy, but the could have worked you in to do this repair...

Offline Havoc1

• Awards:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:52:43 pm »
I heard there was some sort of class-action deal with those tires.  I think I even got some mailer about it, but it was in one of those stacks of mail (which is 80% junk) awaiting me upon return from a month in the field, so it got tossed before I realized what it was.  If things go to hell in the next 10k miles, I'll re-engage. 

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc