270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY Water Leaks  (Read 2055 times)

Offline firemedic740

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    FFDonorContributor
DIY Water Leaks
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
On the 06-08 trucks, some people may notice a water leak at the rear window. I went in for the same problem, there is a TSB on this and instead of the dealer keeping my truck for 3 days they showed me the TSB and gave me the material to fix it. All you need is a tube of permatex windshield silicone sealant- you can get it at the local auto parts store.

1. Remove the two phillips screws holding the rear brake light in. Be careful pulling them out- both mine fell between the cab and bed and got stuck on some lip.

2. Clean the seal and the cab area free from dirt/debris. I used windex.

3. Apply a thin bead of the silicone sealant around the seal of the third brake light.

4. Attach the brake light back to the cab and fasten both screws handtightened.

5. I ran an additional bead of silicone around the light just to be more secure.

6. It takes 24 hours for the silicone to cure completely, but will set in an hour. It will dry clear.

Took about 5 min to do and no leaks since. The TSB stated that there is a void somewhere around the seal of the third brake light where it meets the cab.

Offline Aaron

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Police
Re: DIY Water Leaks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »
I noticed on my truck a few small "runs?" of water going down the rear window, and unfortunately, a few on the front windshield as well. They looked like water had ran down and had left a path so to speak on the inside of the glass. This has never happened before. It was a very humid hot and rainy day, and I kinda hoped it was just condesation or something that had beeded up and ran down. I will definitely take the tail light off now like mentioned, but I'm not sure about the front....
1990 Ram W150 SC SB 4X4 Manual

Offline firemedic740

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    FFDonorContributor
Re: DIY Water Leaks
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 02:15:50 am »
I never noticed it running down the window it dripped on the rear seat and i never really pay attention back there anyways. Luckily someone was riding back there and noticed it or I probably never would of. But since the fix no problems.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc