270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Fuel Pump- Gas  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
Fuel Pump- Gas
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:04:16 am »
This is one way of doing a fuel pump swap. Use this way when you have too much fuel in the tank to safely drop.

Materials Needed:
Philips Head Screwdriver
Hydraulic Jacks. I prefer bottle jacks for this job. One small and 2 large got the job done for me.
15mm impact socket/chrome socket
Impact Wrench or Breaker Bar
1/2 Ratchet Wrench

1.First start off by clearing the bed of any trash, cargo that may be in it. Go to the fuel filler door, remove the 3 screws that hold the fuel filler neck to the bed. Then loosen the filler and overflow hose from the tank.

2. Locate the 6 (longbed, im not sure of the shortbed) bolts that hold the bed on the frame. NOTE: if you have 5th wheel rails, this will add 4 extra bolts. Remove them. Mine was held with blue locktie, the impact wrench saves ALOT of time. The back 2 are not easy to get off, even with the breaker bar. I had to use a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and lots of elbow grease to get them to budge.

3. Place a small bottle jack between the frame and the bed, preferably on a bed rail, but it didnt matter for me.

4. Jack the bed up enough to fit the larger bottle jack inbetween frame and bed.

5. jack to appropiate height, to clear the fuel pump. for added safety, add another jack to the other side, or add jackstands. However, jackstands are very hard to get to sit on the frame. BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING UNDER THE BED!!!!

6. Loosen the white top that holds the fuel pump in the tank. Disconnect all hoses and connections. The electrical connector has a red tab that must be pulled out to the right. The fuel line has a pinch clip that needs to be pinched behind the end of the hose, to release. Make sure there is no debris around the pump opening that could fall in while the pump is out.

7. Pull the pump and gasket straight up and out. Be careful with this step, as the fuel pump is full of about a half gallon of fuel still. Pull the rubber valve grommet out of the old pump and replace it in the new pump. The 2 foot prybar was useful here. Dont pry directly, push the blade under the valve, and rotate your hand to the left to get it to ease out. These parts are EXTREMELY hard to find in my area, dont want to break it.

8. Put the new gasket half way up the pump, and return it to the fuel tank. Ease the gasket in the fuel pump hole, its flimsy and needs a little reassurance for it to sit properly. Slide the pump all the way down, and make sure the fuel pump is pointing towards the engine. (to assure sending unit doesnt catch on side of tank)

9. Take the white top, pop it back over the top of the pump, and screw it on. Can be quite a chore if it is old/warped.

10. Reconnect the fuel line, making sure the new pump has a pinch connector. If not, make sure to grab it off the old pump. Reconnect the small fuel line to the valve as well. Spray the electrical connector with Di-Electic cleaner to ensure a good connection.

11. Before lowering the bed, put the key to the "on" position, and check for fuel pump "whirr". Some new pumps can be very quiet, so make sure to listen carefully for it.

12.  Once "whirr" is heard, lower the bed slowly and steadily, so it will sit back on the original mounting holes without problems.

13. Apply blue locktite to clean bolts, and torque to spec.

14. Crank it up, check for leaks, and burn rubber!

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc