Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: towing  (Read 2971 times)

Offline hoosier

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorAF
towing
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:19:23 am »
for those of you who tow. i am thorwing around the idea of maybe someday putting a lift on my truck. maybe the skyjacker 4.5 inch but the question is i intend on towing a gooseneck trailer how is this going to affect me??

Offline sanddragonslayer

• SW Region Lead
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • the voices tell me.... BUILD BUILD BUILD
  • Awards:
    300kShadeTreeROTMContributor
Re: towing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:48:45 am »
 i've got a buddy that tows a large toyhauler 5th, with a F350 crewcabshortbed srw on 42 inch tires!!!! and its a V10 they made a custom lift kit for the trailer, and did an axle flip too. I tow with my 37's and i've towed with 39.5s too (i pull a tag toyhauler) but we haven't had any problems.
95 12v 4x4 auto K&N drop in. 4 inch turbo back MBRP exhaust, Garmon trans, 4k gsk, 140 injectors, fully modded afc, pump timed, delivery valves, custom ground fuel plate, Phatshaft 62. And a very large list of to do's.

Offline hoosier

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorAF
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:33:08 am »
thats the thing i am not looking to lift the trailer

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:45:55 am »
Hey Hoosier, I tow a number of things, one of which is a gooseneck horse trailer.

If this somewhat applies to your question, I have a 2006 4x4 DRW, with Goodyear 265/70/19.5's on it. The height of the tires are a little over 34 inches.

The gooseneck hitch that I use is a Pullrite adapter that sits unusually high compared to normal gooseneck hitches.
Below is a pic.

I'm assuming that most gooseneck trailers have this type of adjustment on the coupler. It's a male/female sliding adjustment for height in leveling the trailer.

This isn't my trailer, but you can see the neck adjustment.

As with my set up, the neck is collapsed as low as it will go, and the trailer is level.

As in the case of your friend, my overall height may be similar, and with the proper adjustment, it may work just fine.

(BTW, no offense intended on moving this thread, just thought it would be best over here.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:51:35 am by BigRiver »

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline CowboyBob

• Service Manager
  • I can't help it! I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew
  • Awards:
    High Mile clubContributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »
Gooseneck hitches are adjustable, just make sure you keep the release pin in the 3 o'clock position or it will be a PITA to hook up your trailer (i can tell you some funny stories). 

Yes you can even get lift kits for trailers, although they are just spacers unlike like truck lift kits which are more complicated.  There have been a few shooters that we travel with that had to put the spacers on the trailers because of clearance issues on the back of the trailer due to the higher height of the truck.

2001 RAM 2500, Hypertech Stage 3, Exhaust Brake, 90 Gallon Aux Tank, Dual Lift Pumps.

Offline hoosier

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorAF
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:16 am »
i used to work for an RV repair company and we did lift all the time i have NO desire to lift my trailer. so a 4.5 lift would work without issues

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »
I have 6" lift kit (that is 6" in the front and 4" in the rear) added to 37" tires and that puts my flip over style GN hitch ball about 6.5" higher then it was stock. A lot of the GN couplers on trailers are adjustable, and I noticed that on the stock height 2500 the GN mount is almost fully extended (depending on trailer design, most of the GN trailers I have dealt with around here are larger cargo/car hauler types), so there is room to move it up some.

What coupler type do you have or need if you have a rigid mounted coupler then you can get an adjustable coupler. Most adjustable couplers can be as short as 29" and extend up to 40", or in other words about 11" of wiggle room with truck ride height.

Before you do the lift, measure the height of your coupler with both truck and trailer level and if you say 35" or more then you should be able to lift the truck without a problem if you are only looking at a 4.5" lift. And, like I said before even if yours isn't adjustable ther are a bunch of good adjustable ones out there and even the most expensive ones I has seen were in the $250 range, and I spent more then that on the drop receiver I got for my bumper pull car hauler, lol...
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc