270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2nd Gen DIY Differential Fluid Change.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline 1995DodgeRam1500

• Master Technician
  • Are you being served?
  • Awards:
    DonorNavy
2nd Gen DIY Differential Fluid Change.
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:02:49 am »
The diff fluids can be changed one of two ways, pump it out, or pull the diff cover.

If you pull the cover,

1) Put oil catch pan under the diff housing

2) Un-torque all of the diff bolts and loosen them so that oil can escape from the diff

3) Drain diff until most of it has been removed, then remove the cover

4) Clean the mating surfaces really well so there is no silicon sealant on it and the housing.

5) Make sure both surfaces are free of oil and are clean and dry.

6) Wipe out the bottom of the diff housing to get any gunk out that may be there.

7) Apply sealant (black or orange silicone gasket maker works fine) to the diff cover, replace the cover and hand tighten all the bolts back into the housing.

8) Using a torque wrench tighten every other bolt to 30 ft lbs of torque until all of them are tight.  I would recommend doing it in a couple of steps, maybe 15 lbs all the way around, then the 30 ft lbs.

9) Pop out the fill plug (rubber) and refill with your favorite 75w-90 fluid (amsoil or redline are good choices... also mobil 1) or if your towing heavy, use a heavier oil.  The shop manual specs 75w-90

I recommend using a pump to fill the diff, makes it easier than trying to pour fluid in.
I also would recommend getting a marine oil change pump to vacuum out the diff’s if you don’t want to pull the covers.

Hope this helps...

Shouldn’t there be a step before #7 for the new sealant or better yet put a mag-hitech which already has an o-ring seal

If you wrote this you left it laying on the floor at another site. I just picked it up for you.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:00:19 pm by 1995DodgeRam1500 »
Slàinte

Ian

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc