270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2nd Gen DIY Wheel Bearing Swap  (Read 1576 times)

Offline 1995DodgeRam1500

• Master Technician
  • Are you being served?
  • Awards:
    DonorNavy
2nd Gen DIY Wheel Bearing Swap
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:00:02 am »
DIY Wheel Bearing Swap

step 1: chock wheels, (all the safety mumbo jumbo)

step 2 lift up the wheel you're going to change the bearing on

step 3: remove tire

step 4: remove brake caliper, there are 2 allen head bolts on the back side once they are out lift it out you may have to wiggle it a bit and be careful not to stress the break like you don’t want to half to change them at the same time do you, place it on something so it cant fall and isn’t stressing the line

step 5 remove rotor, if they have never been off before there will be a couple of clips on the wheel studs, break them off then the rotor will just pull off

step 6 remove cotter pin from axle nut

step 7 remove axle nut, the way I did this is I took a pry bar stuck it in the knuckle by the wheel to keep the axle from spinning (when you put it in put it in such a way that it is resting on the forged part not the u-joint) the nut is metric but can be removed with a 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 (I used 1 3/4 cuz I don’t have a metric set that big and my 1 11/16 was missing but the 1 3/4 was a bit sloppy) it may take a lot of force to break it loose if the bearing has been gone for a while and has been getting hot, I broke a 1/2 in drive breaker bar and had to borrow a buddy’s 3/4 drive and about 8 feet of pipe

step 8 remove the 3 bolts holding the hub assy on you will need a 12 point 9/16 socket (1/2 in drive) and once they start to come out you will have to use a boxed end wrench

step 9 remove hub assy. it will most likely be rusted in take a thin chisel or a blade screwdriver that isn’t your favorite and hammer it between the hub and the housing working your away around it until it comes off when you take the hub off be careful not to move the axle too much or pull it out, if you do you may scar the axle seal and that is a much harder job

step 10 put the new hub on and work your way back in the order it all came off

step 11 stand back and enjoy and send me a beer.

If you wrote this you left it laying on the floor at another site. I just picked it up for you.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:09:47 am by Cumminalong »
Slàinte

Ian

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc