270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: oil change  (Read 2659 times)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
oil change
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:59 pm »
so i recently got into a 2006 sprinter and took up a job expediting :cho:... after my first week out im already due for an oil change as the guy i bought it off of tells me it needs to be changed in 2k. he also tells me that these engines need to be changed at 5k and not a roll over because the way they are built they will crap out right away if the oil is dirty. WELL i called a local stealership today to set up a time for the oil change and he tells me sprinters only need oil changes every 10k...... who do i believe? also remember that its almost 99% high way driving also...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: oil change
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »
Sounds like time for a chat with............................Super Dave!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:21:28 am »
DAVE.... oh DAVE.. what are ya? haha

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:56 am »
TADA....

MAINTENANCE - WITHOUT ASSYST MAINTENANCE COMPUTER
Maintenance Intervals
Oil service – Normal Operation every 10,000 miles or 16,000 km or 12 months.
Maintenance service every 30,000 miles or 48,000 km.

MAINTENANCE - WITH ASSYST MAINTENANCE COMPUTER
ASSYST provides information on the best possible timing for maintenance work.

When the next maintenance service is due, this will be indicated in the multi-function display with the wrench icon symbol displayed in km/miles or days.

One wrench icon showing indicates Oil Service is necessary.

Fig. 1 - FSS ICON 4 

Two wrench icons showing indicates Maintenance Service is necessary – displayed in km/miles or days.

Fig. 2 - FSS ICON 3 

If the display shows the number of days, a clock symbol will also appear in the multi-function display.

Fig. 3 - FSS ICON 2 

You should have the maintenance performed within the stated period/distance.

The service indicator should be reset after an oil service and/or maintenance service has been performed.

ASSYST MAINTENANCE COMPUTER - RESET
The counter can also be reset by any individual after the indicated service has been performed. To do so:

Turn key to the ON/RUN position.
Within one second press the knob/button (mi/km) twice.
The present status for days or distance is displayed. Within 10 seconds turn the key to OFF/LOCK.
Press and hold the knob/button (mi/km), while turning the key to ON/RUN again. The present status for days or distance is displayed once more. Continue to hold the knob/button (mi/km).
After approximately 10 seconds, a signal sounds and the display shows 7,000 miles (Canada: 11,000 km) for approximately 10 seconds.
Release the knob/button (mi/km).
If the counter was inadvertently reset, have an authorized dealer correct it.

The message is displayed for approximately 10 seconds when turning the key to the ON/RUN position, or while driving when reaching the service warning threshold. It can be canceled manually by pressing the knob/button (mi/km).

Once the suggested term has passed, the message plus either the symbol for Service A or the symbol for Service B preceded by a – (minus symbol) blinks for approximately 30 seconds and a signal sounds every time when turning the key to the ON/RUN position.

The display can also be called up for approximately 10 seconds with the display illuminated by pressing the knob/button (mi/km) twice within one second.

Following a completed A or B service your authorized dealer sets the counter to 7,000 miles (Canada: 11,000 km).

NOTE: When disconnecting vehicle battery for one or more days at a time, such days will not be counted. Any such days not counted can be added by your authorized dealer.
The interval between services is determined by the type of vehicle operation. Driving at extreme speeds, and cold starts combined with short distance driving in which the engine does not reach normal operating temperature, reduce the interval between services.

REGULAR CHECK-UPS
To maintain the safe operation of the vehicle, it is recommended that the following tasks be performed on a regular basis (i.e. weekly or whenever the vehicle is refueled). Check:

Engine oil level
Brake system - fluid level
Battery - acid level
Windshield washer system and headlamp cleaning system - fluid level
Mechanical assemblies (e.g. engine, transmission, etc.) - check for leaks
Condition of tires and tires pressures
All exterior lights

SPECIAL MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS
If bodies built by manufacturers other than Chrysler Corporation are fitted to the vehicle, the maintenance requirements and lubrication intervals specified by the body manufacturer must be adhered to, in addition to all standard maintenance requirements.

Coolant
Corrosion inhibitor/antifreeze concentration in the coolant should be checked before the onset of winter (once year in countries with high prevailing temperatures).

Replace the coolant every five years or 100,000 miles.

Dust Filter for Heating/Ventilation Replacement
The dust filter and the tailgate interior filter are to be renewed during routine maintenance service. If operating conditions are dusty, these filters should be renewed more frequently.

ENGINE OIL CHANGE AND FILTER REPLACEMENT
At a minimum, change the engine oil and oil filter once a year – even if the vehicle mileage per year is extremely low. For standard oil service schedules refer to the chapter oil service and maintenance service.

Once a Year
Select the viscosity of the engine oil (SAE classes) according to the outside air temperature.

Only use engine oil approved by Chrysler Corporation if following the ASSYST system guidelines.

SCOPE OF WORK FOR MAINTENANCE SERVICE

Oil Service
Engine: Oil change and filter replacement

Check fluid levels of the following system, refill as necessary.
If fluid is lost, trace and eliminate cause - as a separate order.
Power-assisted steering

Lubrication work:
Trailer tow hitch (original equipment)

Maintenance
ASSYST maintenance computer reset

Function check
Signalling system, warning and indicator lamps
Headlamps, exterior lighting
Windshield wipers, windshield washer system

Check for leaks and damage
Check for abrasion points and ensure that lines are correctly routed!
All lines and hoses, sensor cables
Rubber boots on front axle drive shafts, rubber boots on front axle suspension ball joints, shock absorbers
Check fluid levels for the following systems, correct as necessary

NOTE:  Should there be a loss of fluid which cannot be explained by regular use, trace and eliminate the cause. 

Engine cooling system. Check corrosion inhibitor/antifreeze, refill as necessary.
Hydraulic brake system
Battery
Windshield washer system
Engine

Fuel filter renewal - Every oil service
Air cleaner with maintenance indicator:
Check degree of contamination.
Air cleaner filter element renewed as necessary.
Chassis and body

Trailer coupling: Check operation, play and retaining fixtures
Secondary rubber springs: Visual check
Tire pressures: Correct as necessary, including spare tire
Check thickness of brake pads
Brake test
Check condition of steering mechanism
Heating/ventilation dust filter renewal

ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE WORK

Automatic transmission once only at 80,000 miles/128000 km
Oil and filter change

During every second maintenance service
Air cleaner without maintenance indicator:
Air cleaner filter element renewal
Check poly-V-belt for wear and signs of damage

During every fourth maintenance service
Change rear axle fluid

ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE WORK AFTER YEARS

Every 2 years
Change brake fluid.

Every 3 years
Air cleaner filter element renewal (note installation date)

Every 15 years or 100,000 miles
Coolant renewal
Note coolant composition

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:07:34 am »
SWEET DAVE! thanks, i was curious about the rest of that stuff too but i had planned to seek elsewhere online... i should of known this is a one stop shop :clap:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc