270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Truck Leaning...  (Read 5865 times)

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
Truck Leaning...
« on: June 27, 2008, 04:02:57 am »
Heya guys.  My first post here, but I frequent the dodgeforum.com forum site quite often. 

Anyway, here goes my question...

I came out of the mall the other day with my wife and noticed that my truck was leaning on the driver's side slightly.  So I took it in to my local Meineke today to get checked out.  Before I brought it in, they said it might be a torsion bar... turns out, of course, that my 2001 doesn't have a torsion bar.  It just has coil springs.  After they realized this, they measured it with a tape measure, from the bottom of the hoist to wheel well.  Sure enough, the driver's side is approximately half an inch lower than the passenger side. 

They said they didn't know, and pretty much just acted like it was no big deal at that point.  Like I should just live with it.  They did say that it might be the coil springs, but I'd be looking at a bit of $$$ to replace them, and they said that might not solve the problem. 

But its bugging the crap out of me!

So I went down to O'Reillys, who've always been helpful, and two of the assistant managers happened to be manning the counter.  I asked them what they thought, and they said it might be a coil spring, as they sometimes break down low (where they sit in the spring's "holder") where you can't really see the break, but because a small part broke off, it will sit lower on that side. 

They also said that if the coil springs are weak, it might be the track bar.  They said to test the track bar, you jack up the front of the truck to where there is no weight on it, and try to move it.  If it wiggles, gives, or etc., then its probably bad and needs to be replaced.  So I jacked it up right there in their parking lot, grabbed onto the track bar, and it doesn't budge at all.  So I believe thats out. 

I went out with a tape measure when I got it back to my apartment, and the back is off slightly worse than the front.  I measured from the bottom of the back wheel to the top of the rear wheel well, and the driver's side is 3/4" lower than the passenger.  I even double checked Meineke's front measurement, and yep, they were right, 1/2" off.

So I measured the coil springs, from top holder to bottom holder.  Exactly the same.  I'm guessing that means there's probably nothing wrong with those then?

To make sure it wasn't the weight of the full gas tank (which is on driver's side of course), I measured from the frame next to it down to the ground, and then went around to the other side and measured that.  The same. 

So it seems that the frame and suspension are level, but the body is not.  Am I losing my marbles here?  What could be causing this?  What should I check next? 

Thank you guys in advance for any help...
-Jason Westerberg

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
Volant Cold Air Intake Kit
52mm Fastman Throttle Body
3" Custom Exhaust System
Magnaflow High-Flow Catalytic Converter
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: Truck Leaning...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:05 pm »
I have a 2000 Ram 1500 4X4 it does the same i thought it was do to the fact my weigth over time (250#) just saged the springs, but it sounds like it could be the body mounts, have you looked at them?

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:04 pm »
Here's what seems most likely to me.

Find where the truck is sagging the lowest.....sounds like the drivers side rear.

It's more than likely the rear leaf spring than the front coil spring.

Usually the lowest sag point is where the weakness is and this puts weight on the good spring on that side.

Leaf springs are a lot more likely to fail than coils, so I'd be looking there.

You can take them off and measure, that's not real hard to to do, but it's not 100% accurate. They can both be the same without a load and measure okay, but what you really need to get checked is the SPRING RATE to make sure it's still able to hold the weight. Which it sounds like it doesn't.

If that's the case, you can do two things.

1 - order a new set of leaf springs. I HIGHLY recommend calling Atlas or National Springs. They make the best springs and they are surprisingly inexpensive.

2 - You can have a spring shop re-arch them if they don't measure the same. I'm not a big fan of this as it will increase ride stiffness and the springs will still eventually sag.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:58:24 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline Cujo

• Lead Moderator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Just One Big Freakin' Ray of Sunshine...
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:51 pm »
I second the leaf spring theory. Surprisingly enough it's not all that hard to break a rear leaf if you carry heavy a lot. When I used to work the family farm (what seems to be another lifetime ago), we had two trucks, damned chevys, that we busted a spring on. These trucks were not abused, but just worked and carried many a load. They both drooped on one side if you looked at them from behind.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab SWB
5.9L I6 Cummins Diesel/4 speed auto, Big Horn Edition
Westin Oval tubes, MBRP exhaust, AFE CAI, DiPricol Gauges,
Smarty, Line-x, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:07:52 pm »
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if a leaf spring or coil spring was broken, wouldn't more than just the body be sagging?  Wouldn't some of the suspension parts and frame be sagging to that side as well?

Oh, and I have not carried a heavy load in the back of the truck yet.  The heaviest I've carried so far would be a bed frame and mattress set.  Don't worry, I'll put it to work later on, just haven't had the opportunities yet.   ;D

Thank you guys for all the help so far!  The body mount was also suggested over at df.com, so I'm going to be checking those today.  Keep the suggestions coming!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:09:33 pm by jason.w »
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »
Have you already measured from axle to frame?

Not body to wheel, body to ground, etc. Axle to frame.

Measure right from the center locator pin on the leaf spring to the frame, on both sides.

For the coils, the easiest thing to do is use string. Try to go from a the lowestpoint in the spring bucket to the highest hard point you can.

This will tell you if it's springs.

Body mounts would be easy, just look for crushed bushing or busted bolts. I doubt that's it though. Is the bed misaligned with the cab? If those two are in alignment, you can pretty much rule out body mounts.

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:30:46 pm »
I got underneath and did some more measuring, as suggested, just in the back.

I measured from the top of the wall of my bed to the top of the cab.  1/2" lower on driver's side.  So the problem does appear to be in the rear.

I measured from the rear axle itself to the frame.  Approximately 1/4" lower on driver's side then passenger.

I also measured from center of the leaf springs to the bed.  1/2" lower on driver's side.

So you think its the leaf spring on the driver's side?

EDIT: I also checked the body mounts.  None crushed, very little rust, no breaks. 
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »
I just noticed this week that my truck too sags.  It looks like my bed is twisted from the back (I forget which way).  I was kinda hoping that....  the stock shocks need replaced.  I'll find out in a few weeks when the money starts rolling back in again.  Wish ya luck Jason
01 1500 4x4

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:59:48 pm »
I'm saying leaf spring brother.

Only way to know is to pull them out.

It's not that bad to do, just need a tall floor jack.

Loosen the front and rear bolts, undo the u-bolts and the spring comes right out.

Careful though, them sumbeatches is HEAVY!

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:42 pm »
Just took fresh measurements.  Forget what I said about the frame not leaning, it is.  I must have been smoking something yesterday. 

Front (cab)-

1. Coil Springs - No difference in height.
   2. From top of wheel well to bottom of tire - 1/2" lower on driver''s side.
   3. From frame underneath cab to ground - 1/2" lower on driver''s side. 
   4. Top of cab to top of wall of bed - 1/2" lower on driver''s side.
   5. Bottom of doors to ground - 1/2" lower on driver''s side. 

Rear (bed/box)-

1. Leaf springs to bottom of bed - 1/2" lower on driver''s side.
   2. From top of wheel well to bottom of tire - 1/2" lower on driver''s side.
   3. From axle to frame - 1/2" lower on driver''s side.

Universal lean, driver's side, 1/2".  Here's a pic:

Any other ideas besides leaf springs?
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:43:18 am »
Hey Jason and pcfixerpro, Welcome to the latest and greatest of Dodge forum sites. Glad to see ya'll follow my bread crumbs. Be sure and tell your pals over in the "other" forum about us here.

Thanks.

Riv
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:45:23 am by Bigriver »

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 12:31:04 am »
Alright.

What I plan on doing Monday.  I've found a leaf spring at a salvage yard from a 2001 Dodge Ram that had 81000 miles on it and then was in a front end collision.  Both leaf springs are still there, so I'm going to see if I can't get the passenger side one.  $65.

I'm planning on taking my current passenger side leaf spring (my truck has 65000 miles on it) and moving it over to driver's side, and then putting the "new" spring on my passenger side.  That sound like the right move to you guys?

Thanks again for all your help!
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 05:51:25 am »
Alright, so I took a quick look at my passenger side leaf spring before I started this project.  Looked easy as pie, everything easy to get to, nothing really looking like it was going to be in the way.

Then I went and got a leaf spring, and started to replace the driver's side.  Wow.  Someone forgot to mention that the pain-in-the-rear gas tank would be in the way of the front bolt.  LOL. Took me an hour to figure out how to get around it. 

Then I figured out that to get the bolt out of the rear shackle, I have to take the hitch part way off.  Not a big deal, but extra time and labor I didn't know about. 

Then I get almost everything put back on, only to figure out that the bolt holding the shackle to the spring is backwards.  I bought a passenger side one, so the bolt is pointing the opposite direction, and because the bolt is extra long (like they all are), if its backwards, it stops the shackle from fitting in its holder properly.  Not a huge deal, just couldn't finish it tonight before dark.  Will pull it back out, reverse that sucker, and tomorrow will be all done. 

Oh, yeah, BTW, 1999 Sport and 2001 Laramie leaf springs are different.  I didn't notice it until I was almost to the bolt problem... the 1999 Sport spring ("new" one) has only four lengths of metal in it.  The Laramie has five. 

However, thats not necessarily a bad thing.  It still fits fine, and, I measured it, is only 1/8"-1/4" thinner than the Laramie one its replacing.  The lengths are thicker.  And its a lot stiffer, so it should work out great.

I bought the 1999 spring because it only had 57000 miles on it when the guy rolled the truck.  So it actually has less miles than my truck/springs have. 

Will post more pictures when its done.  Here's a quick snapshot of the two next to each other, old one on top, "new" one on bottom.

I also managed to snag myself a spare tire rim for $30, as my truck didn't come with one when I bought it.

EDIT: Sorry for the edit, made the image smaller.  Also ran it through Photoshop to brighten it up slightly.  The top one looks like its in nicer shape, but only because it was doused with PB Blaster to help me take the u-bolts off.  The bottom one actually still has some factory paint left on it, my old one has none.  The bottom one is in much finer condition.

Here's the truck the spring came out of.
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/jswesterberg/Donor%20Truck/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:07:23 am by jason.w »
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55:27 pm »
So I completed the leaf spring swap.  Still have a 1/2" lean, driver's side. 

I am just a tad frustrated.  Only thing I can think of to replace next would be the front, driver's side coil spring.  Gonna need to do more research I guess, figure out what causes this.

Any more ideas guys/gals?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:10:45 am by jason.w »
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:08 am »
Have you checked all the hangers and mounting points to make sure they aren't bent?

Are the spring buckets and shock towers intact?

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc